South-West England Bluebells in Somerset and Dorset

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm looking for some bluebell woods in the South Somerset or West Dorset area. I know of a couple areas where there are a few patches of bluebells, but I haven't really managed to find anywhere where there are carpets of them. Every year I seem to miss bluebell season and by the time I start hunting they're all dying off. This year I'm determined to find some!

Ideally I'm looking for somewhere within about an hours drive from Yeovil, but I'm willing to drive a bit further (perhaps kip in the car) for somewhere really special.

Thanks,

Carl

edit: I tried a forum search but wasn't really able to find anywhere suitable or nearby

Last edited:
Hi,
This picture was taken at Milborne woods just outside of Milborne St Andrew, between Dorchester and Blandford Forum. About 45 minutes from yeovil. Usually a good covering of bluebells.

Glynn

Last edited:
I regularly have Bluebells all over patch of Woodland I manage, just off the A358 halfway between the Illminster Roundabout and Taunton - Last year there were millions of them

If you're interested - we can arrange a meet as and when they bloom

Les ;)

we've got a site called combe wood just near honiton - about 35 miles from yeovil , also if you want a strange bluebells but no woodland vista we have them all over the western side of dumpdon hill near Luppit (also about b35 miles from yeovil)

Thanks all for your replies, I've got a couple places to visit now! Can't wait for them to start flowering, I've been checking my usual spot every week so far so that I can start snapping as soon as they appear

yep sprouting but not yet out down here - it will be a few weeks yet

I'm probably a little late for this year but there are woods along Bailey ridge near Leigh that used to be full of Bluebells

I'm probably a little late for this year but there are woods along Bailey ridge near Leigh that used to be full of Bluebells

Thanks a lot Rossc, I'll check it out. It took me a while to find Leigh on a map but as I live in Yeovil and work in Sherborne it's in a great location :D I might drive down after work one day this week and have a gander. Thanks for the tip.

I've made myself a map in google maps so that I can save all these locations to remember each year :D

Ok so I went out on Saturday and spent a couple of hours checking out three of the local bluebell areas. In some places they're just starting to sprout but nothing worth a photo yet. In fact, the only thing I did get during my outing on Saturday was a receipt for a new tyre after a punture between Dorchester and Sherborne! I'm sure the bluebells aren't far off, especially if this sunshine continues!

they are out in devon now, so it shouldn't be long

we've got a site called combe wood just near honiton - about 35 miles from yeovil , also if you want a strange bluebells but no woodland vista we have them all over the western side of dumpdon hill near Luppit (also about b35 miles from yeovil)

My girfriend and I went to Exeter for the day over the weekend (I suggested Exeter so we would be conviniently near Honiton and combe wood on the way back, but don't tell her!) and we popped over to combe wood on the way back. What a fantastic spot! I've never seen so many bluebells in one wood before, and for a site so close to the main road it was fantastic. Thanks very much for telling me about this place big soft moose, I'll be going there a few more times over the coming month I think! :)

good to hear carl , i'll look forward to seeing your pictures

Back