Beginner Blurred Image

Name
Sue
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello can a screenshot image of a security camera low resolution be converted to high resolution, If so how could I do it, I need it for the Police, sorry I have never had to do this before, many thanks.

Hi and welcome to TP

Though it is possible to enlarge small images (unlike what one sees on TV police/crime dramas) you cannot make a high resolution image from a low resolution image.

Having said that, it may be possible to discern greater detail by some forms of image editing.....but it depends on what you are aiming to achieve? If you are trying to work out the make & model of a vehicle.....perhaps even "work out a number plate"? But if you are hoping to see a blurry face become clear & identifiable then sadly IMO that is not going to happen.

In regard to the potential evidentiary use of CCTV, I surmise to hold up in court you are best not to try to edit the footage..... but to hand it as it is the police and let them "analyse it".

I hope that is of some help and maybe other TPers have their more personal insights to offer.

Last edited:
Hello can a screenshot image of a security camera low resolution be converted to high resolution, If so how could I do it, I need it for the Police, sorry I have never had to do this before, many thanks.
but to hand it as it is the police and let them "analyse it".
Are you doing it to 'improve' the evidence are just because the police have asked for a certain minimum size?

If the former: it's doable using certain AI-based software packages. I expect the police would disapprove.

If the latter: it's possible to resample and make a higher resolution image but the quality will be no better. It'll just have more pixels.

The police should have forensic photography tools just for that job. That said it's not like CSI Luton or where ever, they cant read a watch from a blured CCTV, it can make shots look better in some cases, mostly to help read number plates, but theres a limit to what can be done.
I saw one tried a few years back, it sort of helped a bit but I wouldn't hang it on my wall.
Personally I dont think you should be doing it, any "tampering" by you will probably make it inadmissable as evidence. I'm not a lawyer though.

Back