Blurred on one camera, not on another?

Name
Real
Edit My Images
Yes
I was taking some pics of a sunset and pier recently on the beach and found that with one camera all the pictures were blurred. I was shooting with two cameras that evening, a 24-105mm lens on one camera, with the blurred pics, and a 70-200mm lens on another camera which didn't get any problems with blurred shots etc. It confused me, firstly because this has never happened before with this setup and secondly because the 70-200mm lens is more likely to blur due to weight etc. I was using a tripod for both cameras and ND grad filters with 24-105mm lens.

I was on sand and pretty much up to my ankles in seawater as there were so many people around but I tried various locations and still got the same results. Blurred pictures with long exposures.

Any ideas please people?

From personal experience with tripods on sand and long exposures is not a good combination, for stability.

What sort of exposure times were you shooting at (with both cameras)?
Did you take any shots without the ND grad on the 24-105? If so how did they look?

Blurred pictures when doing a long exposure suggests your tripod and as such your camera was moving a little from either vibrations or movement in the sand...

Another possibility is that you had left the IS in the on position, and this is the cause of the blurring as If the tripod was perfectly stable then the IS is trying to compensate for movement that isn't there so will actually make the image blurry :(

Can you post an example image of the blurring with the exif intact, so that we can have a chance to determine the nature of the blurring

Nobody can help you bar guessing whats wrong.. you need to post pics complete with exif (or list settings) and then people can help....... true :)

Thanks for the tips! Here are two pictures both unedited. The FIRST was taken with the 70-200mm lens at 70mm, 2.5 secs, f32, ISO 100, tripod, self timer. The SECOND was taken using the 24-105mm lens at 35mm, 1/4 second, f20, ISO 100, tripod, shutter release, can't remember if I had a filter on this one. 1/4 second and it's blurred? This really baffled me as it has never happened before. So I had to resort to taking the pics with faster shutter speeds like the third pic below - got some good shots but would have loved to use longer exposures :)

Thanks!

View attachment 13377 View attachment 13378
View attachment 13380

Well that looks like IS blur to me but I cannot view any exif to see if IS was on, it's also not going to be helped by shooting at f/20 as using such small apertures will distort the light more and will as such affect sharpness of the image, but that really does look like a IS related issue

Ok, thanks. Next time i'm in Florida by the pier i'll try turning IS off :) F20 was only used due to light entering the camera.....

Yeah, sure. I had filters but was trying without to see if it would make a difference. :)

Back