BnW chems

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
right I'm sorting out chems for home dev of negs and prints, but not prints right now so will buy print dev later

thinking 5l of hypam

500ml of ilfostop

and ID11 but I dunno about the keeping of ID11 will the 5l be 5 sets of 1l sachets if so it makes sense or is it a massive on in which case I'll buy 1l. I don't intend to be knocking through the BnW at a rate of knots should I look elsewhere for a dev?

Cheers guys

Depends on the film type but why not look at a liquid developer like Ilfosol3? Easier and more convenient than powder mixing. Might as well buy some more stop if you're doing negs and prints. What about wetting agent?

never used a wetting agent, I got confused by devs :(

only ever tried ddx as a dev and I'm pretty sure that works out expensive as hell

Have you mixed your own powder devs or have you been using what the uni make up for the students? If you want to get going quick I'd start with a liquid developer and then worry about powders when you've got more time.

ID-11 / D-76 is a very good all-purpose dev that can be used neat or diluted to give different tones.
Longevity is very good under controlled storage and once made-up will easily last 6-8 weeks if kept properly in an airtight and air-free container (insert a poly-bag into the bottle and inflate it to keep the liquid surface free of oxidisation).
1Ltr of stock solution will dev between 5-20 135-films depending on dilution.

I don't need time I'm doing it for fun over the summer so will be going slow, haven't sourced an enlarger yet :p

I'm thinking of coke type bottles with a bag inflated in them, that work Rob?

the 5L pack is only a tenner vs a fiver for 1L so if its 5 1L packs its sensible but if not I'd need to shoot at least a roll a day otherwise

Hi,

until recently I was using ID-11 as my dev of choice and never had any issues with it.

At first being a newbie a purchased a 5ltr box, thinking I could just mix what I needed but quickly found out that the whole mix had to be done at once, which gave me some storage issues.

Having said that after I got myself some amber storage bottles to store it all in and placed them all inside a sealed cardboard box and put this in a dark cupboard, I was still using the dev 8 months down the line with no noticable problems.

I have now changed dev for financial and ease of use terms, see another of my posts here. It may be of interest to you.

Kind regards..,

K ;)

p.s. The suprol dev makes 20litres at 1+19 for film and 10litres at 1+9 for paper.

I don't need time I'm doing it for fun over the summer so will be going slow, haven't sourced an enlarger yet :p

I'm thinking of coke type bottles with a bag inflated in them, that work Rob?

the 5L pack is only a tenner vs a fiver for 1L so if its 5 1L packs its sensible but if not I'd need to shoot at least a roll a day otherwise

As long as you keep it dark, it should be OK - in a box, in a dark, cool cupboard etc etc

maybe wine bottles for darkerness :p will keep in cupboard anywho

nuts q you can't use ID11 as a paper dev right?

maybe wine bottles for darkerness :p will keep in cupboard anywho

nuts q you can't use ID11 as a paper dev right?

Nah you can't. I also am starting to use firstcall products. Not too sure on whether the dev will be any good but you can't go wrong with fix and stop at those prices.

Nah you can't. I also am starting to use firstcall products. Not too sure on whether the dev will be any good but you can't go wrong with fix and stop at those prices.

I was concerned about changing to the Suprol dev but it's great, a lot quicker processing time than ID-11 and superb results so far.

I did a little research prior to buying it first.

Also found it on the Massive Dev Chart.

Regards..,

K ;)

p.s. just found this link to another forum, quite an old thread but look at the bottom post.

having just had a look, its seems I have 1l of Suprol and 1l of Promicol. I think I bought the Suprol for when my multigrade paper dev runs out and the promicol for filum. I'll have a bit more of a looksee.

Back