Bobbins

Name
James Dyson
Edit My Images
Yes
Tiz Bobbins!:D

First real go at focus Stacking, this is 6 images stacked taken with the 450d and 18-55mm Lens + Macro Filter 2x Aperture was at 38 for all six images.

3014299462_de8dc0632b.jpg

Larger Pic here http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/3014299462_de8dc0632b_b.jpg

I really need to sort my lighting out, going to have a peek on Ebay and see what is available I fancy one of those small Studio setups (Light Tent,Lights etc etc).

Regards

James:)

Tiz Bobbins!:D

First real go at focus Stacking, this is 6 images stacked

James, my question would be why?

This subject could easily have been taken with one exposure, in fact had you focussed on the near front of the bobbin and used the aperture required to get the whole of the bobbin sharp.

By 'Macro Filter 2x' do you mean a supplementary lens, if so as this has no exposure factor can you explain how you got an aperture of f38?

As for the image, really like it and it seems very sharp, I think it would have been improved greatly by taking out the distracting light object in the bottom RH corner. I personally would crop the image to the LH edge of the distracting object (thus removing it) and also crop the LHS slightly to balance the image again.

Like the idea though, I am going to have a quick go at something similar in a minute but I will try to do it in a single exposure.

Okay, here's my effort, I had to get a bobbin from the garage and it was a bit rusty, it was also the only bobbin with blue thread .

Single exposure, I used a Canon 30D with a 100mm macro @ f32, 1/200 ISO400, I used an off camera 580 EX II to the left and slightly higher than the bobbin.

Bobbin1.jpg

Now what do I think?

I prefer your image except for the foreground and background which I would prefer more defocussed and with the distractions removed.

I like the lighting on your image and I can see how the technique of focus stacking could be beneficial. Something I will definitely need to research further.

Back