Beginner Bones of the Forest.

It's a great concept. For me, I have issues with the smudgy artifacts in the structure of the wood (from over-compression as a jpg - it's the same on the full size at Flickr) the un-natural colour of the sky & sky-grass tonal balance and the big green negative space on the RHS that's also full of artifacts. Also the hole at the end of the trunk looks like it should point to *something* but it just distracts instead of fulfilling the viewer.

I think it's a potentially good shot, which is why I've bothered to offer crit, rather than either ignoring or clicking 'like' - possibly worth going back for a second go.

It's a great concept. For me, I have issues with the smudgy artifacts in the structure of the wood (from over-compression as a jpg - it's the same on the full size at Flickr) the un-natural colour of the sky & sky-grass tonal balance and the big green negative space on the RHS that's also full of artifacts. Also the hole at the end of the trunk looks like it should point to *something* but it just distracts instead of fulfilling the viewer.

I think it's a potentially good shot, which is why I've bothered to offer crit, rather than either ignoring or clicking 'like' - possibly worth going back for a second go.
I appreciate your time taken to look and critique it.
The artifacts are likely because it was taken using the night mode on my phone and that quite heavily processes the pictures.
The sky colours are accurate to the way it looked when it was taken.
I don't understand what you mean by the tonal balance between the sky and the grass, so I can't comment on why.
I see what you mean about the composition with regards to the negative space and not taking advantage of the hole guiding the viewer.

The whole shot seems a bit tightly framed.

I'd step back and allow a little more space around the tree trunk and not cut the foreground off.

Back