Bonus and CANON EF 100mm F2.8 USM Macro

Edit My Images
No
Okay, recently I was asking for advice about if I should get a macro lens or go with extension tubes. Well, I have just received a bonus from work and have found the above lens at a good price of £265. What do you reckon? Go for it or still go with tubes? Is it a good lens for a starter in macro to go for? I have a 400D.

It's the perfect starter lens for macro and very keenly priced....what are you waiting for?

Bob

Well £265 is a VERY good price, I've just paid £285 from Kerso. If the £265 is for a new one and you can claim the £40 cashback your looking at a real bargain

I use one at work and the guy who does all our fly tying sequences in his magazine swears by it. Reliable, cheap, brilliant optics and tough as armour-plated Doc Martens!! :)

Buy it - you won't regret it

Depends what you want to shoot most of.
If it's detail/macro stuff then go for a good macro lens, which the Canon 100mm is. If it's sports/wildlife them something like a 70-300mm IS would be a good choice. Use one at work and they're cracking.

Depends what you want to shoot most of.
If it's detail/macro stuff then go for a good macro lens, which the Canon 100mm is. If it's sports/wildlife them something like a 70-300mm IS would be a good choice. Use one at work and they're cracking.

The OP was asking about a macro lens so it's to be assumed he wants macro shots....or am I mssing something here :shrug:

Bob

Canon Bob, I was referring to his second question about looking for a replacement for his 55-200mm kit lens instead of buying the macro lens.

Sorry for confusion. :)

Sorry guys I kind of hijacked my own thread with the whole zoom question:naughty: It's not that I want a "better" zoom it's just I was at Lords on Monday and my 55-250mm just wasn't long enough to get into the middle clearly and sharply! Anyway back to the original question I reckon I'll go with the Macro, and just a small point I'm a she not a he :p Thanks for the advice everyone.

May I ask where your getting the lens from at that price

I used the canon 100mm macro on these
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=59804
Hope that helps

The Canon 100mm is a good choice, check my gallery with an image of a caterpillar. Also consider the MP-E65 it goes from 1x to 5x, but focusing is manual and depth of field is critical and it requires moving for correct focus best using a focusing rail. Tomorrow I will post an image taken with it, if it helps.
Simon

Simon, thank you it would be a great help if you could post something I need as much help as I can get right now seeing as I have never attempted macro before. Love the caterpillar shot but couldn't bring myself to look at the spider!! :runaway: Chris, the wasp shots were cracking if not creepy! I am desperate for my lens to arrive so I can get started! Thanks both for your replies.

Chris, the wasp shots were cracking if not creepy! I am desperate for my lens to arrive so I can get started! Thanks both for your replies.

Thanks (y)
Have fun I am sure you will

I must be being very dopey today but I can't find the 100mm macro on that site, and the prices show in euros (which is fine for me as I'm in France) in the list and when you click on the link the prices change to a higher figure :wacky:

Just checked and its there at the same price gotta be the "French connection" :D

copy.jpg

A Ha, you prove my point old fruit, that is NOT the CANON EF 100mm F2.8 USM Macro mentioned by the OP.

Honestly though it shows the price for me as 264.59€ and when you click on the thing the price goes up to 317.94€

Any way that's beside the point it's still not the same lens as in the title of this thread

Tara

A Ha, you prove my point old fruit, that is NOT the CANON EF 100mm F2.8 USM Macro mentioned by the OP.

Honestly though it shows the price for me as 264.59€ and when you click on the thing the price goes up to 317.94€

Any way that's beside the point it's still not the same lens as in the title of this thread

Tara

You know what Tara? I actually never looked that closely :bang: just a quick screen grab and run as it were :D
I assume that 317 Euro is about the same as 265 GBP?
I just guess that coversion is a bit slow on the site :shrug:

obviously if aprilmcg reads this you need to be aware that this is not the macro version

Cobra, I've sent April a PM, and you're right about the currency conversion. Damn confusing for us € bods though

Tara

April

Lucky you, bet your glad you didn't buy the tubes. The lens you are looking at in not the 100mm macro, but as said you could get it from Kerso for not much more. Or for less get the 60mm macro, which is a great lens.

Just go for the 60mm or 100mm macro, its macro you have been after for a while. If after after awhile you feel you made the wrong choice, you would not lose much or anything if you wanted to resell the 100mm

Lenses seem to hold there value well, so worth the gamble.

Look at pixel-peeper for some example shots with the 100mm.

I smell an import here. Just looked at the sigma 150 and its very cheap! 338! Fantastic price, however if it is an import then there will be no 3 year warranty with it.

I would check to see if they are supplying grey imports as there may be a problem with the warranty should you ever need to make a claim

Simon, thank you for that. That is such a great shot even if it is one of the things that scares me most in life!! Brilliant. As for the lens well I continue my quest to find it cheaper than £300 seeing as the one I was looking at was indeed not the one I wanted :bang: thank you again to those who realised I was wrong and for pointing it out!!!!

Simon, thank you for that. That is such a great shot even if it is one of the things that scares me most in life!! Brilliant. As for the lens well I continue my quest to find it cheaper than £300 seeing as the one I was looking at was indeed not the one I wanted :bang: thank you again to those who realised I was wrong and for pointing it out!!!!

April

As WhiteFlyer said in his post was he able to pick this up for £285 from Kerso, this will fall within your budget. It would be hard pushed to get it cheaper than that and as you get a UK receipt, you should be able to get your cashback.

Peter

Mifsuds in brixham S Devon sells the 100mm for 346 and you get £40 cashback so its within your budget ask for Matthew they have excillent service there, I have bought from them for the last 12 years. Hope it helps.
Simon.

Back