Bonxie V Gannet, Gannets diving

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
A few pics from today..

The Gannets were diving around 100-150 yards away - one was much closer but I was too busy looking at the LCD to catch it!

It was pretty dull and I was shooting towards the light but some of them turned out ok. It was also a good chance to try out the continuous shutter, and good fun trying to guess which Gannet would dive and which would fly past:D

I might try again with a lower shutter speed to give a better sense of speed.

Dogfighting
_JJM2299.jpg

Cruising
_JJM2325.jpg

Diving
_JJM2315.jpg

_JJM2356.jpg

_JJM2369.jpg

_JJM2365.jpg

Splashing
_JJM2330.jpg

_JJM2338.jpg

Surfacing
_JJM2346.jpg

I like these, especially that diving sequence. (y)
Such a streamlined bird, and captured beautifully :clap:

:agree: with Hairy ... a great set of images ... (y) ... loving the Bonxie and Gannet in synchronised fly past ... :clap:

:p

Quite nice, though difficult to get great quality at that distance. The first one's got a Great Skua in it too, in case you were wondering what the other bird was.

:agree: with Hairy ... a great set of images ... (y) ... loving the Bonxie and Gannet in synchronised fly past ... :clap:

The green man beat me to it with his term Bonxie (the nick name actually originates in the northern isles because the birds will dive bomb you if you are near their nest sites and bonk you on the head. True that is);).

:p
[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Great set of shots crieffy, also like the one with the bonxie flying with the gannet. Well done.(y)

I like them all!

OK, I'll shut up. I never read the original post properly but at least the history lesson is there.

Looks like a fantastic days entertainment :D

Well done with the diving captures. From what i've seen they come down at a terrific speed

Thanks chaps, most of them aren't far from being 100% crops of the originals and ISO was 800 so quality isn't great.

I used to wonder why anybody would need a £5k lens - I suppose I don't really need one, but I would really really like one:D
Oh, by the way it's my birthday next week. large cash donations accepted:naughty:

John

Thanks chaps, most of them aren't far from being 100% crops of the originals and ISO was 800 so quality isn't great.

I used to wonder why anybody would need a £5k lens - I suppose I don't really need one, but I would really really like one:D
Oh, by the way it's my birthday next week. large cash donations accepted:naughty:

John

looks like you had a great day, now would it be as much fun with a 5k lens? who am i trying to kid lol
they are all good shots like the cruiser best(y)

Great series. I'll be in Orkney in 2 weeks (on Hoy later) so hopefully I can get some bonxies and gannets and maybe any slow to leave puffins.

Andy

Back