Boot sale Bargain

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to a car boot today and picked up the following :

OM fit Tokina 50-200mm f3.5-4.5 with Hoya Skylight filter and lens hood.
Olympus 28mm f2.8 with Oly Skylight filter and original hard case.
Olympus T20 flash unit with case and instructions.
ZeisOp super wide HR lens for Sony/Panasonic/JVC/Sharp (no idea what it is) with case.
Pack of lens cleaning cloths.
Instruction manuals for the Tokina, Vivitar and for an OM-10 which is what I have, and a Sirius carry case.

All of the above are mintier than a pack of mints and the lot was £8

Dead happy :D

Cheers

Andy

Nice work! Still wouldn't catch me within 3 miles of a car boot sale though FAR too many people per square yard :)

I have to go to one of these mythical car boot sales one day. Trouble is, there aren't any close to our place

I have to go to one of these mythical car boot sales one day. Trouble is, there aren't any close to our place

Taplow near Slough too far? Never been there but it's supposed to be big....anyway look out for Booties in school grounds, car parks etc you might find a bargain with just a few stalls.

Car boot sales can be great for finding bargains, a few months back I bought a Yashica T4 for 20p and sold it on E-Bay for £45 :D

Car boot sales can be great for finding bargains, a few months back I bought a Yashica T4 for 20p and sold it on E-Bay for £45 :D

erm I should put my mint Yashica T5 on ebay, knocked the guy down from £2 to £1.50...my biggest mistake was not buying a Konica Hexar RFinder camera for £5 (last year), I had no idea it was a collectors item.

I could never leave a Konica - any Konica - on a stall, they call to me!

bargain hunt gives you some ideas on boot fairs (where they are & roughly how big)- as sad as it sounds...

Really need to find out where your Car Boots are, none of the ones round here are any good for camera gear.

Dave.

why not try the one at swallow field on every sunday ,thats not far from you

Do you know where it is in Swallowfield? That should be close enough?

How early does one need to go to these Boot fairs?

( I notice, Kevin, that you are in Wokingham as well. Where abouts?

My local big boot sale opens at 07.00, I arrived at 08.00 and it was already busy. I reckon an hour later and the good stuff will be gone.

I've just had a really good look at the stuff I got today and its in absolutely super condition, can't believe I got it so cheap.

Andy

Do-able; its about 20 ish miles. I hear its a nice place as well.....

Well that's £5 in petrol, usually £2 to get in early...so in case their isn't any camera gear you want to look for other stuff as well to offset the £7.

Andy, what boot sale did you go to?

We normally trawl the ones near us (Alty) looking for camera gear!

Normally at Chelford or Cheshire Lounge on a Sunday and had some decent stuff from Timperley Cricket Club when it's on !!

Anth

I could never leave a Konica - any Konica - on a stall, they call to me!

Well I was thinking at the time:- I have four Konica camera (well two Ft1s made into one) so what do I want another one for?..... :bonk: well I know now to make money.

Nice find, good job I seem to be able to resist or I might start hoarding collecting again :D

I know you already had replies but this might help http://www.carbootsales.org/county/berkshire.html not a definitive listing but useful for reference. You can either go in early and try to snap up any real bargains or do a late sweep and beat the sellers down as many would rather take cash home than their unsold wares.

I heard that hoarding had made it's way into the latest medical dictionaries while Asperger's Syndrome is to be abandoned. Seeing as how I've only been collecting Nikkormats a few months and I have enough to plug BPs hole I think I got accelerated hoarding.
I shall throw myelf on the mercy of the NHS. Or maybe the Arts Council when I create a stack.

Anth,

Its at Crewe Vagrants Club between Shavington and Nantwich. Its the biggest one in the area I think and its free parking and free to get in as well.
Shouldn't tell you really you might nip in and get that hasselblad nobody noticed.

Andy

Nice find, good job I seem to be able to resist or I might start hoarding collecting again :D

I know you already had replies but this might help http://www.carbootsales.org/county/berkshire.html not a definitive listing but useful for reference. You can either go in early and try to snap up any real bargains or do a late sweep and beat the sellers down as many would rather take cash home than their unsold wares.

Thanks, thats really helpful. I got to get a bargain for myself....Sunday morning, here I come....

Slightly OT, but I find charity shops have an exaggerated sense of a film camera's worth, with any old junk being listed at £35+, at least in those local to me. The same camera wouldn't attract a bid on eBay.

I suspect head office advises them of a value and they have to follow it. On a couple of occasions I've asked if they'd take a lower but still reasonable price (bearing in mind it is a charity) but they have been unable to. Half the time they don't work properly anyway. Basically they haven't caught up with the digital revolution and are still asking 90s prices for stuff.

I haven't seen anything other than cheapo film instamatics in any of the charity shops in Crewe. I know that the British Heart Foundation sell all their decent (?) camera donations on-line but the others, well I don't know what they do.

Andy

I know that the British Heart Foundation sell all their decent (?) camera donations on-lineAndy

I worked in a British Heart Foundation charity shop for about a year or so. Last November I mentioned that I was into photography and the assisatant manager then asked if I would like to see something. We went upstairs and someone had donated a hugh box of photography stuff. There was a mix of about everything including:

• In one camera bag, a rare Black Pentax ME Super with 2 zoom lenses, a nice Vivitar flash, eyecup and lots of other things
  • A Canon APS SLR
  • Several digital bridge cameras
  • A Zenit EM with a scratched mirror
  • A set of M42 Teleconverters
  • A Hannimex 80 - 200 mm M42 zoom lens
  • In a massive camera bag, a professional S-VHS video camera, with a massive great stereo mic and about every option possible
  • And loads of other stuff
  • A couple of 35mm compacts

I was amazed that someone would donate something like all that and I actually wrote a description of the rare black ME Super for the Ebay auction and recommended a price. Don't know what it went for in the end as I left before they sent the box off. Plus for me sorting through it they let me have the M42 zoom lens and the teleconverters for any £5. Great little zoom lens, unfortunately I found out later that 2 of the screw holes holding the lens barrel to the mount had no thread, so in the middle of a field it practically fell off the mount! I put it back together and tried to repair it but the same thing happened so I gave up.

i remember finding a small canon eos 650 with 35-70mm lens, 50mm f1.8 (rare mk1) and a 300ez flash, i bought the lot for £10 and sold the 50mm on ebay for £110 which then i bought my lovely minolta 50mm f1.7.

Another recent car boot find was a Lomo LC-A and flash. It was in a old camera bag at the bottom of a plastic box. Had a look in it and this popped up. Paid the grand sum of £3.50, it all works and I put a roll of colour film through it, developed at Tesco's and it had the classic Lomo look.

I've seen this go for at leat £50 on E-bay, somtimes more.

lomoandflash.jpg

Well this lot at the bootie today for £10 inc two new batteries in a packet @ £2.69, that I put into the camera. The zooms are probably inferior but the camera can take Pentax k mount so might be handy.
Anyone want the zooms they can have them both for a Tenner + postage.
Used Mitakon 35-70mm f3.5/f4.5
Mint Ozeck II 75-250mm f4.5 with mint case
Make it £13 + postage and you can have:- 52mm close up +2 and +4, polariser, 80a and shutter cable release.
DSC00669.jpg

Not quite in the super-bargain territory of most of the above, but I picked up a very tidy Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 with a 50mm f/1.9 for a tenner this morning. Light seals look good and the leatherette covering is sound (a little unusual for a Yash SLR of that vintage).

Uncoupled TTL metering, mechanical shutter up to 1/2000 means it'll carry on working with no batteries and it may provide me with an excuse to purchase some nice C/Y lenses...

I'm developing a bit of a thing for Yashicas. It'll go nicely with my 124G and J-3. :)

Not bad at all, I may sneak out early to have a look round the local bootie see if there are any Leicas or Hasselblads waiting to be snaffled up for a tenner. :naughty:

Andy

For Russian enthusiasts at the bootie was a professional looking case (not suitcase type with foam) where lenses etc were securely fastened and inside was a long 300mm f4.5 attached to a Zenith camera and alongside was a pistol grip also helios lens 44-2 lens, filters and 3 reloadable cassettes and even a screwdriver in a clip...well he wanted £100 for it, but who knows it might have gone for £300 on the bay.
What did I get? Another camera in a case I didn't want, a Fuji STX-2 all mint except for the timer not working.......£4.

edit: It was something like this:-

http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/fs12/

For Russian enthusiasts at the bootie was a professional looking case (not suitcase type with foam) where lenses etc were securely fastened and inside was a long 300mm f4.5 attached to a Zenith camera and alongside was a pistol grip also helios lens 44-2 lens, filters and 3 reloadable cassettes and even a screwdriver in a clip...well he wanted £100 for it, but who knows it might have gone for £300 on the bay.
What did I get? Another camera in a case I didn't want, a Fuji STX-2 all mint except for the timer not working.......£4.

edit: It was something like this:-

http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/fs12/

Its a Photo Sniper outfit, probably a bit over the top at £100, they normally sell for £50-£80

Back