Botallack Mine, St.Just, Cornwall B&W.

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
I have reworked my earlier posting of the dramatically sited Crowns Engine houses at Botallack near Land's End. This has involved quite a lot of work with levels and sharpening, and it is quite different from the original colour image.

DSC_11177TMBWBTint3Web-1.jpg

Tell me what you think...

Last edited:
Nice one , the only crit is i notice what look to be lines going across the top of the photo in the brightness when i scroll the screen down. :)

Tell me what you think...

I think it's utterly fabulous. :clap:

It looks really worked, with the contrast up almost photocopy high in places and then soft as clouds in others but for me, you've pulled it off.

It's not technically perfect and there are places where perhaps more detail could have been left but overall, I think you've got the balance bang on.

Nice one , the only crit is i notice what look to be lines going across the top of the photo in the brightness when i scroll the screen down. :)

Good spot mr process man, a little more work still to do. :)

Thanks Neil. I have no idea how that artefact got there - hopefully removed now. I just adjusted the tint slightly while I was at it.

Still has a line showing in the sky here just level withthe top of the middle cloud. strange. some really odd posterisation in the sky too.

However, I like it too. I just think it needs some less destructive editing to bring out the effect you have created here.

Still has a line showing in the sky here just level withthe top of the middle cloud. strange. some really odd posterisation in the sky too.

Oh, for a decent screen!

I really had to work on this to bring the cloud out at all, because on the original image the sky was really underexposed. The process has brought out some weird artefacts in the sky, probably the result of jumping around between different PP programmes - Gimp, PSP and Dynamic Photo HDR. I hope I have chased most of them off now.

Having worked my way through this lot, I can now see how I could have achieved my goal less destructively, partly because I wasn't perfectly sure what my goal was until I had done it.

Thanks to you all for your help and comments. Much appreciated.

Since it's such a worked and composite image now, you could consider just changing the sky for something that suits your vision???

Brilliant subject, but then it is of something Cornish. Something Cornish is better than anything from the other side of the Tamar.

Why don't you go back to the original RAW and start again to get somewhere near this, but using just ONE editing suite. You now have your target finish, see if you can do it on one program and make life MUCH easier in the future.

The only thing that spoils it for me is the big hole in the sky. The engine houses you have got spot on, just drop the sky tones down.

I have now hopefully addressed most comments, latterly lensflare's, plus my own curiosity, and gone back most, if not all steps. Unfortunately I don't (yet) work with RAW files, only JPEGS, so some limitation.

When I view photos on my Adobe Photoshop Album viewer (as opposed to Gimp, Corel PSP or my web browser) I see images that are MUCH more revealing, though whether accurate or not I don't know. The original image that I posted looked oversharpened on that programme, so I have pulled everything back a bit. I have dealt with the white hole in the sky, and hopefully the artefacts are gone. I hope the result retains its drama but looks a tad more natural.

Thanks again to all who helped. Any other comments welcomed!

... I wasn't perfectly sure what my goal was until I had done it.
:clap: I like that approach - it removes the risk of failure altogether, mate!

Seriously, you have succeeded in creating a dramatic image of a bygone era, appropriately in B & W. If I had to be picky then I would suggest a slight straightening of the engine houses that are tilting a little to the left. CS3 has an Edit > Transform > "Distort" tool that enables you to do this subtly.

This is really nice. A good capture of this location, especially from this side which I think is quite awkward. The only thing that I would really like to change is the horizon/verticals. I think one degree of rotation would bring the buildings properly vertical. At the moment the slope towards the left very slightly.

Andy.

Thank you all very much.

Andy & Mark, re the lean, I laid a grid across the photo, and the leftmost/inside walls of the two engine houses are upright, while the seaward corners show a slight apparent lean. It is probably just perspective, something that is real and gives a sense of height, distance and depth. The engine houses on the hills in the background are all bolt upright.

Given that and the fact that I did all the recent PP inside the border, would you forgive me if I were to leave it as it is?

Exceptional. I love everything about this, the detail in the fg and the misty/cloudy bg the conversion and the composition. Its a really good image.

Andy

Hi horrocks
Very nice.
Couldn't see the lines they were on about and just realised you've corrected them.
Well done √

Very nice, a very well balanced image.

Fabulous shot Toby, it has it all and says it all about Cornwall tin mining. Great composition and well handled in B&W.

Thank you all very much.

Andy & Mark, re the lean, I laid a grid across the photo, and the leftmost/inside walls of the two engine houses are upright, while the seaward corners show a slight apparent lean. It is probably just perspective, something that is real and gives a sense of height, distance and depth. The engine houses on the hills in the background are all bolt upright.

Given that and the fact that I did all the recent PP inside the border, would you forgive me if I were to leave it as it is?
Your photo, your call entirely. The lean is REALLY minor, 1 degree only. I popped it up in Lightroom and it is straighter afterwards to my eye.

Before:
MinesGrid(Before).jpg

After:
MinesGrid(After).jpg

Not worth worrying about though. Its a nice photo regardless.

Andy.

Andy, I tried it and (I accept that I am not objective here) I don't think it improves the image, I actually think that it takes something away.

As I said, perspective is something that we see. It gives us a perception of scale, depth and height. Take it away, and the image flattens. In fact, straightening the engine houses starts to create an optical illusion that they are leaning away from each other, fully contrary to our perception of what the visual perspective should be.

I think that we can run the risk of getting a bit fundamentalist on some of these things. I look at some of the images created or captured by the great and the good amongst photographers of old, and you find loads grain, an abundance of halos, black, featureless shadows, burned out highlights, white skies, shamelessly obvious perspective 'aberrations' and all sorts of things that seem now to be considered to be faults, sometimes I suspect to the detriment of what becomes the final, overmanipulated photograph.

If I sound stroppy, I certainly don't mean to, because I have benefitted enormously from the feedback on this thread. However, as I said earlier, forgive me, but I am going to leave it as it is on this particular matter.

Entirely up to you Toby. Like I say its your photograph. Worth pointing out though that this isn't perspective, its rotation. Rotating 1 degree brings all walls vertical which means they are still parallel in both version. There are no converging lines. Agreed, perspective gives a feeling of scale but your original doesn't have perspective primarily because you are shooting mid-point level with the buildings.

Its marginal and minor but in a competition these are the kind of things that distinguish highly commended from winner.

Andy.

OK Andy, I take your point. I thought you had corrected converging verticals, which is what I had had a stab at, rather than simply rotated to the right a tad. I concede. I have no idea though why I thought I could see something different on my grid than I can now clearly see on yours! Do you think it might have been the prospect of having to reprocess the entire image again??

Thanks again for your input.

Hi toby,

Excellent composition with quite an eerie feel. Good contrast in the scree and rubble and lovely fine details in the brickwork. I also really like the element of the waves crashing against the cliffs.

Nicely done

Ewan

Back