South-West England Bournemouth/New Forest

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
I will be heading down to the south coast next week with the family, but I am hoping to get some trips out for photography - my 7 year old son will also be keep to join me, so I have got more of an excuse than normal to head out of an evening. We are staying inland, in a village north of Christchurch, and realistically I can't see us getting to any of the "usual" Dorset locations, Old Harry rocks etc at the start or end of the day.

I think we are planning to spend a day over by Corfe Castle, but that won't be a specific photography trip. But is there anywhere else worth visiting? Or anywhere near Bournemouth/Christchurch that will be good in the mornings/evenings?

Corfe Castle has the Swanage Steam Railway running through it. Can get nice photos of the steam trains and the castle in background from the station and other locations. Obviously morning with possible mist, and evening sunsets of the castle if time permits. Christchurch quay is a great place to photograph, and Christchurch Harbour can have nice sunsets. Poole Harbour has many great places to photo, & of course Brownsea Island with the Red Squirrels. From Bournemouth pier you can walk for miles up the gardens along the river Bourne with a lot of photo opportunities. Obviousy there is the New Forest.

Perfect - I know there was talk about a steam train, FIL is a train enthusiast.

I hadn't heard about Brownsea Island, I don't think I have the kit to photography red squirrels, but would love to just see one!

I have never actually been to the New Forest, so not even sure where to start there!

Perfect - I know there was talk about a steam train, FIL is a train enthusiast.

I hadn't heard about Brownsea Island, I don't think I have the kit to photography red squirrels, but would love to just see one!

I have never actually been to the New Forest, so not even sure where to start there!
One of the easy to find spots is 'Hatchet Pond' - great for sunsets if the weather is kind. There's a car park, which usually has spaces in the evening.

The cliffs just up the road at Barton on Sea can be great for capturing the paragliders. Good to spend some time watching them launch and then skim the cliffs. Nice backdrop of the Needles too.

One of the easy to find spots is 'Hatchet Pond' - great for sunsets if the weather is kind. There's a car park, which usually has spaces in the evening.
Thanks, that looks like a good bet!
The cliffs just up the road at Barton on Sea can be great for capturing the paragliders. Good to spend some time watching them launch and then skim the cliffs. Nice backdrop of the Needles too.
Thanks.

Back