Boxing - May 1st

Name
Jon Derbyshire
Edit My Images
No
Im new to photography so thought it would be a nice change from being in the ring to shooting the action (less painfull). Here are a few from our home show last night. Lighting is awful and the pics need processing and cropping but before any of that is done here are a few from last night:

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0771-1.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

Well that is a promising start!

You will need to compensate for the lighting by adjusting the white balance but you know that already.

It's your timing that is impressive, get that lighting right and you will be really good.

Good actions images JD & I'll go with AliB re: White Balance.

Well done...:clap:

My biggest problem is understanding the white balance process. Iv read a fair bit but its the only thing im yet to really grasp.

Shooting the boxing is easy. Since iv boxed for the club activly for 2 years and been going to shows for 9 i understand the timing and the movements for the shot.

Im just debating with having a slight blur to shoot to speed or not. Im shooting the Junior ABA's sunday so may have a play about.

Its a hobby. I do it so the lads can have the pics of their bouts. I had a photographer there for my debut but the next few had no one shooting or filming so its kinda dissapointing to both win and lose and have no record of it. Im not looking to make any money out of it.

White balance is quite simply colour temperature. It is normally measured in deg K (degrees Kelvin) For example tungsten lighting (which that looks like) is 3200 degK. So you could try setting your camera to the tungsten light setting and it should be a lot better. The more advanced method is to set a custom reading by using a grey card so your camera can interpret that (it's 18% grey) and then apply the setting to all your images.

Try the tungsten setting first though and good luck :) It is obvious that you know your subject.

I'll second what has already been said. A really good set of pics. Having covered boxing myself, I know how difficult it can be to anticipate and shoot at just the right time, but your own experience of boxing has paid off big time. I'd really like to see some of your shots from a show where the lighting is more kind to you.

Back