Boys Toys Audi TT S line: just strobes used

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
As part of the Strobist project Rob and I have embarked upon we decided to shoot a car this week using only strobes.. 3 Nikon flashguns were used and we moved the lights round and kept the camera fixed to emulate having a few more lights then blended them in photoshop.

The shoot was done outdoors on an industrial unit forecourt.

C&C Welcomed... this is my first car shoot so be gentle.. I plan to re visit this soon as iv learned allot from the shoot already. :p

Cheers Andy

4609645772_4796df4a16_o.jpg

4609038303_e166533b9e_o.jpg

4611129205_20ef94b237_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1432/4611129205_20ef94b237_o.jpg

I can't fault them. #1 is simply stunning, followed closely by #2.
#3 is great, but the first two totally eclipse it

I can't fault them. #1 is simply stunning, followed closely by #2.
#3 is great, but the first two totally eclipse it

Cheers Kevin number three is more your max power magazine shoot where as the the other two were more design and style brochure shots

No.1. is a cracking shot.
No.2. might look better if you cloned out the bright spots for more constant smooth lighting effect? Just my 2p worth.

Barney

How nice to bump in to you here, SBerlyn from DW ;)

S

Very nice, if I was being ultra critical would have liked to have seen some space to the left of the car in shot 1, shot 3 also seems as if the back wheel is missing.

these are great might have to borrow one of them and have a go lol

No.1. is a cracking shot.
No.2. might look better if you cloned out the bright spots for more constant smooth lighting effect? Just my 2p worth.

Barney

Cheers Guys thanks for the positive feedback.
Andy

Last edited:
can i ask how you made the background black, is this a camera trick or just use a black sheet/ background ?

Fast shutter speed in a dark condition will underexposure the photo (making the WHOLE photo black) but adding strobes in certain areas make only those areas lit up.

The closer the flashgun to the car the quicker the light fades away, so less of the background is shot.
The further away the flashgun the smalle the fade away so more of the background is in the shot.

#1 for me superb the kink of shot you see in the Audi showrooms (y)

Don't forget, you don't have to use photoshop to merge the pictures if having to multi flash to gain the light.

MUCH easier to use the multiple exposure in camera - after all, black is black and provided you don't knock the camera you can fire away all day. Use a remote release and you'll be fine. Saves hours of computer time.

Back