Brands Hatch - Round 3 of the Circuit Rally Championship

The tyre blur isn't there, can I suggest too high a shutter speed especially with the first one, the third one is fine however.

The tyre blur isn't there, can I suggest too high a shutter speed especially with the first one, the third one is fine however.
Tyre looks pretty blurred on the first one to me. I certainly can't read the writing on it

Hmmm, if something is coming towards you, even sideways;

Sideways Mk2.jpg

then a slow shutter speed may not work so well...

Pug.jpg

The wheel spokes are not blurred!
1. They are
2. It's a head on shot, 3/4 type shot. You need a higher shutter speed in that scenario. I regularly shoot head on shots like that at 1/2000th. You're not trying to show movement in that type of shot. It's a good image. There's just enough tyre blur to show movement, the background car is also slightly blurred by movement and you can see the tyre sidewall deformation under load. All while keeping the car sharp.

I don't know what shutter speed the first image was shot at, but any slower and you're going to have parts of the car blurred (other than the wheels) which I'm going to assume isn't what the OP wanted.

I think they're all great. Good sense of movement. Motorsport photography doesn't always have to be tack sharp and introducing a bit of blur is quite artistic. In my opinion.

Back