Break Out!!

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

On Friday I paid a visit to a local Bee Keeper, I met him a few months back, talking to him about my conservation group and projects. One of my projects is based around Bees and the decline of them and he was keen to get involved.

Fast forward a few months and I was invited to watch him in action with his Honey Bees and took some snaps. Luck was on our side that day for two reasons.

Reason 1. I DIDN'T GET STUNG!!!.....OK I was in a suit but even still, with the net pushed up right against my face in order to get shots I was taking a huge risk!

Reason 2. THIS SHOT!!!!! A Honey Bee emerging for the very first time! It's a bit of a crop as I couldn't get as close as I would of hoped with the MPE.

It's safe to say I will be going back to do some more pics and videos.

Enjoy

Matt

Honey Bee emerging for the first time! by Matthew Doogue, on Flickr

You could say "Honey I shot the kids" (think about it) Matt, this is a great shot of a new emergence and as always you got so much detail in there, have you tried a rotation of 90 or even 180.

Great level of detail there. Nicely done and congrats on not getting stung. I would have knowing my luck.

Never seen an image of an emerger! If that's the correct term?

Excellent (y)

Last edited:
Thanks all.

I was surprised at the colour of the chambers and the Bee once emerged. Almost a pale gold colour.

Very nice Matt, but not your best IMO. To me it looks like the Bee's face is a little be flat tonally compared to the honeycomb, have you pulled the highlights back a lot in the Bee? I'm so used to seeing perfect colours in your shots with plenty of zing, I maybe nit picking but I just don't think it's your normal high standard.

Thanks guys

@Neil Burnell I have pulled the highlights back but when they emerge they are almost brown/pale gold colour. I'm guessing they colour up as they dry up. Maybe this is why it looks dull compared to the honeycomb. I will have another look at the edit but they all look like this. Although there is one more on my Flickr taken side on which gives a better perspective of the event :)

Thanks again everyone :)

Matt

6 jars of honey, 2 box of honeycomb, 6 candles, soap, hand cream and lip balm lol!

The honey is so good! Nothing like I've ever tasted!!

6 jars of honey, 2 box of honeycomb, 6 candles, soap, hand cream and lip balm lol!

The honey is so good! Nothing like I've ever tasted!!
A colleague of mine has a hive. I'm gonna have to ask him for a photo session one time.

I get honey from him and you are right, it tastes amazing! You really can tell the different between that and the supermarket ones. And it doesn't have to fly half way round the world to get to me :)

Have to agree with @Joeturner11 - a different style of shot that works exceptionally well (y)

Very nice work Matt.(y)

George.

Back