NSFW Breast cancer

No I don't think he is,sound a very thoughtful person listening to him,plus some really good photos not just about breast cancer :)

Thanks for the link :)

No I don't think he is,sound a very thoughtful person listening to him,plus some really good photos not just about breast cancer :)

Thanks for the link :)
Yeah the war veterans photos were very poignant.

Steve

Is this David Jay the disgraced 'rock star' wedding guru or a different one?

I don't think this is exploitation in any sense. Indeed, I'd say that the subjects of these images are very much celebrating survival and their will to live life to the full in spite of having been through a great deal of personal trauma. To me they are all saying ... "I've been here and survived ..."

They're not easy viewing, but excellent, moving, poignant, and meaningful images.

Why are the beeb latching onto this now? He shot SCAR in 2010.. kind of old news.

He's not exploiting anyone. It's a back lash against the fashion industry's perpetuation of the myth of hyper beautiful, unrealistic, overly retouched people, and giving women who don't fit the mould a voice. SCAR is not the only thing he's done to make this point either. Millions of people don't fit the ideals portrayed by the fashion industry, and millions of us are victims of one thing or another than means we don't fit the ideals forced upon us. Breast cancer affects so many people... not all women either. Non of us are perfect, and having someone celebrate imperfection due to a pernicious disease that effects millions is a good thing.

It's no more exploiting anyone than taking pictures of old people on benches in so called "street" photography is. "Ohh.. there's an old man on a bench.. let's take a shot to show how lonely he is". Crap like that is more exploitative in my opinion as it makes assumptions abut people. This doesn't.. it strips cancer bare, and shows it for what it is: A horrible disease that scars beautiful people and ugly people alike... that we're all alike under the pathetic façade of beauty we're force fed by the media. The models volunteered because they thought they needed to show the world both the horror of the disease and the strength and nobility of those who have battled it.

[edit]

His latest project is here...

http://www.unknownsoldier.org/Images.html

Last edited:
Nice write up of your views pokeyhead.. I had to have a quick look to see if this was the photographer in this years Taylor wessing as there was a mastectomy image in that, but it wasn't him. That said, trends in images seem to go around.

Back