Brecon Beacons

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife and I have a few days away at the end of June in Breacon. The choice was based on driving on some of the great roads in the area, but I'd like some advice on some areas to visit for some landscape or architecture shots. I've never been to the area before so have no idea what to expect. I don't mind doing a bit of trekking to get some decent shots.

Any ideas gratefully accepted :rolleyes:

Steve

Both times i've been I've parked on the A470 just past the Beacons reservoir and walked from the Car park up to Pen-Y-Fan (this is quite a good walk to get your heart going as it slopes up fairly quick) and walked the ridges. Cribyn, Fan Y big, Corn Du. Get there early though and it gets quite hazy in the summer sun so a polarizer is worth it . Gone the other side of the road to Fan Fawr too. There's a few local welsh photographers that post here some may have some better advice for other areas.

jelster,
One of the best, and for me the most stuning routes up to the tops (Corn du,penyfan, cribyn etc) is from
Cwm Gwdi
car park, grid ref. SO025248.
This used to be an army camp before the national trust took it over.
The biggest bonus of this route is it takes you away from the multitude of people you would encounter on the above route from storey arms.

Cap

Thanks guys.

Martin, is there a way to locate that site without a NG map ?

Kit wise, I'll have my 6D, CF tripod, a couple of lenses and a few filters. That should be OK I guess ?

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry about the delay in replying, been away on Skommer, and a few other places.
I would try this post code LD3 8LE (for sat-nav purposes).
Look up National Trust / Brecon beacons, Cwm Gwdi.
There are a couple of routes on there you can download, both are good and they'll get you to the tops without any problems.

Cap

Cheers Martin, I'll keep that postcode handy. We're members of the NT anyway, so I'll have a look in the book.

Steve

Steve,
You'll be a few miles from "waterfall country" If that floats your boat then there's lots of them for you to explore.

If your up near pen y fan and you want to see some waterfalls as Ian says check out the link below...
http://naturalhighs.net/waterfalls/falls00/ystradfellte.htm

You'll get some nice shots, spent many a happy hour yomping around the Breacons And the fan dance.

Oh btw for your kit list! Map, Compass and or GPS, Waterproofs ( + something to keep your kit dry).
Number of people we used to take off penyfan wearing trainers & tee shirts no map etc. etc. when the visibility clamped, not teaching you to suck egg btw.

Enjoy Steve

Last edited:
Steve, if you don't want to get the OS map. go to Bing (http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=MMREDR) maps and select the OS map option for the area, you can then print off the part you need. However, I'd recommend the Landranger map(s) to get a better overview of the area.

Dave

Back