Bristol Balloon Fiesta 2020 - Cancelled

Name
GC
Edit My Images
Yes
As expected, this years event has been cancelled. There will be a limited number of balloons flying over the city on an as yet unknown date but there will be no public viewing areas, just for residents to watch from home.

GC

I attempted to go last year until printed on the parking tickets it stated that any Professional looking camera equipment is liable to be confiscated and mobile phones only were permitted

I'm guessing this is ridiculous & impossible to enforce:) It's is held on PUBLIC land and legally they have no right, under English law, I took this from a statement made by Association of Chief of Police Communication Advisory group for England, Wales and Northern Ireland

" There are no powers prohibiting the taking of photographs, film or digital images in a Public place. Therefore: members of the public and press should not be prevented from doing so"

When I cancelled my tickets ( without a refund) I questioned the legality of their statement, quoting the above Police Communication

I received no explanation, in fact I received no response in any shape or form

I'll not be attending any time soon

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing that type of restriction at more and more events, the discretion often relying on the security guy's interpretation of what is "professional" gear.

GC

I attempted to go last year until printed on the parking tickets it stated that any Professional looking camera equipment is liable to be confiscated and mobile phones only were permitted

I'm guessing this is ridiculous & impossible to enforce:) It's is held on PUBLIC land and legally they have no right, under English law, I took this from a statement made by Association of Chief of Police Communication Advisory group for England, Wales and Northern Ireland

" There are no powers prohibiting the taking of photographs, film or digital images in a Public place. Therefore: members of the public and press should not be prevented from doing so"

When I cancelled my tickets ( without a refund) I questioned the legality of their statement, quoting the above Police Communication

I received no explanation, in fact I received no response in any shape or form

I'll not be attending any time soon

Les

Hi Les,

Being a confirmed hot air balloon fan and a regular attendee at the Fiesta I can honestly say no-one has ever questioned me carrying my "professional" camera and there are always of plenty of decent cameras on show amongst the crowd. TBH, the crowds going in and out of the site pretty much all day would make it impossible for security to police it.

Never having used the official parking I can't say if that is a new "rule".

Hi Steve, the statement regard the Professional Camera's was actually printed on the official car par ticked I received when I booked mate

Les :)

Back