Bristol City vs. Royal Antwerp 1st Aug 08 !

Edit My Images
Yes
A few from tonight. Last pre-season match for City before they embark on another quest for the promised land.

Despite it being 1st August, there was serious rain throughout the game, but overall not too bad. City hammered the Belgian team 4-0 with new £2.5 million boy Nicky Maynard getting three goals on his debut...though football as ever, continues to be a right pain to shoot as the game does not flow for a camera.

Antwerp brought about 2000 fans over and they made a serious noise. Was funny to see the young Europeans with oddball mustaches in Hackett jackets and burberry hats 'wanting it' English thug stylee.........I mean Belgium, famous for beer, chocolate and that bloke who made movies worse than Steven Segal.

The D3 at play again here, with a 300mm F/2.8 and ISO from 400 up to 3200 as the light went.

BristolCityvsRoyalAntwerp-1stAug-9.jpg

BristolCityvsRoyalAntwerp-1stAug200.jpg

BristolCityvsRoyalAntwerp-1stAug-11.jpg

BristolCityvsRoyalAntwerp-1stAug-12.jpg

BristolCityvsRoyalAntwerp-1stAug-10.jpg

BristolCityvsRoyalAntwerp-1stAug-7.jpg

BristolCityvsRoyalAntwerp-1stAug-6.jpg

BristolCityvsRoyalAntwerp-1stAug-5.jpg

BristolCityvsRoyalAntwerp-1stAug-2.jpg

BristolCityvsRoyalAntwerp-1stAug-3.jpg

Ace captures... the Gary Johnson one being my fave i think.

That Maynards not a bad bit of business!

Ace captures... the Gary Johnson one being my fave i think.

That Maynards not a bad bit of business!

I thought he was a classic panic buy, however, he looks very very good. His movement is very Theo Walcott and yes, he certainly has that natural goal scoring flair not since at City since Lita and Cole before that.

One suspects he will go onto be worth a lot more, though it is early days.

Very nice set there, sharp and spot on exposure, No2. is the stand out image for me.

love city. lol

Great shots D. Its always a great to look at your work. I've shot a bit of football this month as well, I just want to do a bit more now! :)

Cheers Ally, well it is the hardest gig out there. 90 minutes flies by and the keeper rate sometimes drops but thats part of the fun!

Cracking shots!

Do you end up cropping a lot with 300mm on FX? I shoot football with a 70-200 2.8 on DX and I find it frustratingly short--but I suppose the D3 + 300 2.8 are much more conducive to cropping, since you've got more resolution and more acuity than my lowly D80, heh.

A stunning set Pete!:clap:
Especially like no.2.

Perhaps you should pop over to the mem & catch some real football.:D

Spence

Cheers all.

Spence, we try, but Rovers closed the door on freelance snapping some time ago due to in house politics and loyalty to the club 'pro' who happens to have family on the board.....:thinking:

Cheers.

Cracking shots!

Do you end up cropping a lot with 300mm on FX? I shoot football with a 70-200 2.8 on DX and I find it frustratingly short--but I suppose the D3 + 300 2.8 are much more conducive to cropping, since you've got more resolution and more acuity than my lowly D80, heh.

FX at 300mm allows you to frame and get the shot in your head before you shoot it really. 300mm can be about right for lower league football as 400mm can be too tight but ideal for the newer London Stadiums where you shoot from behind adverts and gravel tracks such as Emirates and Wembley. The ideal combo for most sport is 2 bodies with one long prime and a 70-200.

FX at 300mm allows you to frame and get the shot in your head before you shoot it really. 300mm can be about right for lower league football as 400mm can be too tight but ideal for the newer London Stadiums where you shoot from behind adverts and gravel tracks such as Emirates and Wembley. The ideal combo for most sport is 2 bodies with one long prime and a 70-200.

Interesting; whereabouts on the pitch do you usually shoot from?

amazing shots.
i shot alot of footie matches and have nevr mastered it in the slightest.
One thing I have never doen is gotten reall low to the ground.
Something I will definatley be doing at the next match.
Where abouts do u position on the pitch?
I tend to float about form the sideline to the goal ends but never get quality like this.

Interesting; whereabouts on the pitch do you usually shoot from?

I usually line myself with the edge of the penalty area as you have the middle of the park covered along with the penalty area. You cant move really once positioned and some grounds dictate where you can sit.....

Back