Bristol Harbour Festival 2008. (gig portrait)

Edit My Images
Yes
I hope you guys dont mind me sharing some work with you again!

A few from today, where I felt I shot the best I had done in a long while.

First of all, it was at Bristol's yearly Harbour Festival and the light was something else today. Using the photographic brain, I shot manually, but under exposed by 1,2, 3 stops here and there and ranged my aperture from 2.8 to 5.6. ISO pretty stuck at 400, but shot in NEF in case!

I spent most of the day with DX mode turned on in the D3 menu, for that little bit more reach on the 70-200 so I could shoot tight, crop tighter.

Finally, I had an SB800 on board in ittl or manual dependant on what was going on.

Overall, very happy with todays haul and here is selection for your consideration. Today for me was one of those days when I knew exactly what I wanted the shot to look like before I even released the shutter.

Regards,

BristolHarbourFestival200810.jpg

BristolHarbourFestival20081.jpg

BristolHarbourFestival200820.jpg

BristolHarbourFestival200821.jpg

BristolHarbourFestival20083.jpg

BristolHarbourFestival200819.jpg

BristolHarbourFestival200829.jpg

BristolHarbourFestival200831.jpg

BristolHarbourFestival200837.jpg

BristolHarbourFestival200838.jpg

Some belters in there, inspirational stuff. Keep meaning to try my hand at music / gig photography... just gotta get off me lazy ass and do it!

These are stunning!:clap: My fav is the guy in set 2 leaning on his pile of cushions-he has a faraway look in his eye.

Did you take any of the ships/boats?

Another stunning set Pete.:clap:
The last one for me though!(y)

(Cant understand 51 views & only 3 comments:shrug:)

Spence

Thanks all.

No boats as did not get time and wanted to focus on the people about town.

Spence, cheers.

I like the first one of the top post, and numbers 2, 3 & 4 of the second post.

Looks and sounds like you had a good day Pete (y)

That bloke on the cushions isn't you is it?

As always D its great to look at your work! I like most of them my only comment is that they are all quite a like with the rule of thirds and the person to the side with the dead space. Cracking quality of the shots (y)

Cheers Ally.

I hear you, but I think that these are my signature style. Noted however.....:)

Oh Bu***r!!!.......don't see you for ages and then you post awesome stuff like this!!!!!!!

Think I'll hang up my camera now! :coat:

Superb......just superb! Love the guy with the trumpet. The detail in that shirt is amazing.

Last edited:
But who are they?
Point being I recognize a good picture, which these all are, but if the artistes were identified, would that not help?

Some excellent work there. Good shallow DOF and creative use of light.

But who are they?
Point being I recognize a good picture, which these all are, but if the artistes were identified, would that not help?

That could apply to every street, gig, candid picture ever taken and really is a pointless statement....:thinking:

What would it help? Photography is about moments captured, not words - in most cases.

Thanks - no not me - I was behind the lens.:)

I did think that but it reminded me of the self portraits of seen of you, but with a hair cut.

Never mind i'll get my coat, and congratulate you on another good set as I walk out the door :D

fantastic set love them all :clap:

That could apply to every street, gig, candid picture ever taken and really is a pointless statement....:thinking:

What would it help? Photography is about moments captured, not words - in most cases.

...which was nothing at all to do with 'street' etc pics. On 'gig' pics, that were obviously the subject here, crediting the artistes, whenever possible, can only add interest.

And for what it's worth, any statement is pointless, when made to someone who can't read..

...which was nothing at all to do with 'street' etc pics. On 'gig' pics, that were obviously the subject here, crediting the artistes, whenever possible, can only add interest.

And for what it's worth, any statement is pointless, when made to someone who can't read..

Well, sorry, but I have not got a clue who they are.

Thanks.

Apologies for not being able to read as well :puke:

excellent pics diego, dont worry about ivor, hes different

Excellent again, this is the quality of gig shooting I aspire to. The trumpet guy shot is in a different class, absolutely wonderful. Thanks mate.

Andy

Too many people use b&w to make poor photos interesting but yours is a nice use of black and white.

Back