Britcar - Brands Hatch 18th Nov 2006

Edit My Images
No
Made the trip to Brands yesterday for the Britcar 'Night' Race. It was cold but dry and the light was mostly kind to us.

After last weekend's dead-battery-in-the-Speedlite debacle at the Tempest Rally I bought some Energizer 2500mAh Ni-Mh rechargables and a charger from eGay. I wasn't going to run out of battery power for my flash once the light went.

Kit used was 20D and Sigma 70-200 and or 120-300, both in f2.8 EX HSM flavour and a 430EX Speedlite. Some shots will say 300mm +, these ones had a Sigma EX 1.4x TC stuck on the lens as well.

Exif details are all there for people who like that sort of perversion.

PP limited to some VelviaVison™ and a little bit of Unsharp Mask.

Here goes.

Production S1 E30 M3 at the bottom of Hailwood Hill
IMG_8039-vi.jpg

Vauxhall Belmont (some of you will call this an Opel Kadett)
IMG_8253-vi.jpg

911 in the Britcar
IMG_1393-vi.jpg

Busy up at Druids
IMG_8285-vi.jpg

Proof you don't need a Nissan 200SX to drift
IMG_1208-vi.jpg

Another M3 out of Druids, this time a more conventional 1/30s pan
IMG_1207-vi.jpg

And finally a couple with flash

911 on fire (it was - but went out within 2 laps)
IMG_1671-vi.jpg

M3 again
IMG_1667-vi.jpg

Criticisms will be ignored - especially ones about the border! haha!

Click here to be taken to the gallery.

Erm, no photos showing and the link is dead. Apart from, great shots! ;)

Brilliant photo's you have capture the action really well.

Very impressed

Nice shots, esp the sideways BM and the 911 :love:

Rich

Some of that panning is amazing! 1/30 :eek:

The night shots look ok too.

1/30th, easy!

taking photos of cars in no light is ridiculuous. doesn't matter what shutter speed you use, if you set your flash to expose corectly the car will always look parked! argh!

I shot some at 1/10 of a second...result? very little movement. argh!!!

Nice shots, i thought i got a couple off good ones this weekend until i saw yours. hink i still need a bit more practice.

cool - but remember I've got kit that flatters. it's so much easier when you aren't fighting your camera or lens set up.

Liking the shots Dave, impressive panning, especially the first one, no easy feat the pan on approach view.

How do you determine your focus point on night shots ?

And I've always wondered if you can set up a low powered flash on first curtain, then necessary flash on second curtain? might mke for some interesting shots.

Regards

Kris

Fantastic set of shots :clap:

I thought I was doing well to get a decent panning shot at 1/125 but no way could I do 1/30 :shake:

Crikey, another POTN'er :)

Everytime I see you lot use that 120-300 makes me want one!

Liking the shots Dave, impressive panning, especially the first one, no easy feat the pan on approach view.

How do you determine your focus point on night shots ?

centre focus point and I usually aim at the headlights / grille / front of the car

there's normally enough contrast to get focus lock, believe it or not.

as for the curtain question, umm...err...ask someone else hehe

The 120-300 is a fine beast, if not heavy and a bit unweildy. You can go handheld too. Wouldn't recommend it for much more than a couple of hours though :) I didn't think it'd be much bigger than a 100-300 f4 but one of my buddies has one and the 120 is a fair bit bulkier!

Really good shots. I was there too but my images are nothing near the quality of yours. I was pleased with what I managed to get as it was my first outing with my 400D. Finding the right settings was my main criteria, I was interested in the night race side of it but was disapointed that it turned out to be the last race of the day.

Thanks

Brands Hatch has a strict curfew - to protect the old biddies that live out the back of the circuit.

Everything HAS to be done and dusted by 6.30pm. The PA system goes off too.

Post away!

I enjoyed looking through those too :)

Back