Britcar @ brands night race

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, my first post here :wave: I was at Brands this weekend too, primarily for the Elise Trophy races as I've been following them via the SELOC & LoTRDC forums.

Great night shots Nilagin, I missed the Britcars, but will have to make the effort next time.

I've just bought a Canon 40D (with kit 17-85 lens) and looking for any excuse to get some more practice. I've been interested in photography for a while, but I'm really keen to improve my technique now and do the 40D justice!

I definitely have a lot to learn, having snapped 700 odd pics on Sunday, but only getting around 70 half decent ones. They're not going to win any awards, but it's a start (comments welcome) and I really enjoyed taking them regardless. There's something deeply satisfying about the clunk of an (D)SLR's shutter/mirror snapping away!

They're nowhere near as sharp as I was hoping and I didn't have the best spot with the pesky fencing in the way. I know my panning technique needs work, with most pics shot at 1/80-1/125, but perhaps the fact I was using the central AF point compounded matters?

I also realise I'm somewhat lacking in zoom with nearly all of them taken at the max 85mm focal length. I'll be purchasing something more meaty at a later date, but this will have to do for now. It did mean that I've had to crop most of the action pics to remove unwanted dead space from around the subjects though.

Anyway, you can find a selection of my pics from the day here, and these are a few for starters (comments welcome).

IMG_0161_edit.jpg

IMG_0179_crop_edit.jpg

IMG_0286_crop.jpg

IMG_0439_crop.jpg

IMG_0490_crop.jpg

IMG_0514_crop.jpg

IMG_0614_crop.jpg

IMG_0741_crop.jpg

IMG_0794_crop.jpg

OK, thanks Badger :) I suppose I should have put something in the welcome section...

Some nice shots there. I like the first image, just a shame that there are other cars at the end which take the edge of it.

Well done. I like BH been loads of time, plenty of good places to get pics and good access to the paddock.

Thanks Weirdo :) I did consider cropping out the dark cars from the first image, but decided to leave them there for contrast against the three bright ones which were the only cars in sunlight (there was a gap in the grandstands behind them to the right).

Thanks Nick, I recognise your UID from SELOC too :) Nice piccie...

I did make some minor changes to the contrast of the first pic, so they're not straight out of the camera. I also tried a number of angles, but that one is probably my favourite. Those three cars were photographed loads by everyone.

IMG_0165_edit_crop.jpg

this is probably one of my favourites from the day though, as it's my own car :) I really like the detail in the water droplets and metallic paint that you can see in the hires image.

IMG_0123_crop.jpg

Back