British GT - Oulton Park

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
No
So this was my first foray into motorsport photography, still learning to use my D750, 200-500 and Lightroom, but I feel like I got some great results this weekend.

Started off with some pretty fast settings to capture some sharp images of the cars and then got a bit more creative as the day went on, lengthened the exposure and aimed for some panning shots.

Really happy with how some of them came out, enjoyed the day and it's made me want to get to a track day to photograph my mates.

Here's a link to the Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/191789673@N06/sets/72157719874692470/

And here's a couple of my favourites from the day:

View: https://flic.kr/p/2mp1KKu

View: https://flic.kr/p/2moWPgS

Let me know what you think, and any advice you have.
-Lew

A pretty competent looking set on Flickr for your first go. Some decent motion introduced, and you’ve given the cars some space to breathe in the frame which is a good consideration.

Some good stuff in your Flickr album, good composition and motion. Just watch for trackside furniture, fencing and stuff like that between you and the cars.

A pretty competent looking set on Flickr for your first go. Some decent motion introduced, and you’ve given the cars some space to breathe in the frame which is a good consideration.
Thanks, the space was actually quite hard, there was a lot of people there, so I had to crop out heads, big AWS foam boards and all sorts but most of them thankfully ended up fairly well.
Some good stuff in your Flickr album, good composition and motion. Just watch for trackside furniture, fencing and stuff like that between you and the cars.
Trackside was a pain, the place was heaving on Sunday and I spent a lot of it with very small window to pan with, I did notice a few guys with Media jackets on getting preferential spots so I may look into how expensive that turns out to be (no idea how it works) for next time, but I think my plans now will be to get there for some of the quieter events where I'll get plenty more freedom.

I did notice a few guys with Media jackets on getting preferential spots so I may look into how expensive that turns out to be (no idea how it works) for next time

It doesn't cost anything to get accreditation, it's entirely down to the circuit operators discretion. You don't have to pay to get in, but you're there to work, not spectate if you're trackside. You have to shooting for a recognised media outlet, such as a newpaper, magazine or established website. You'll also need £5million of public liability insurance cover, although this isn't too expensive. It's almost impossible to get media accreditation at MSV owned circuits such as Oulton Park since Covid. They have massively cut down on the number of people they give accreditation to and even established pro photographers are made to shoot from the spectator areas now. You can't shoot for a team or a driver either as they won't give you accreditation for that. I shot trackside for a good few years but I haven't been accredited since the end of the 2019 season and I don't see it changing any time soon with how restrictive it now is.

Last edited:
It doesn't cost anything to get accreditation, it's entirely down to the circuit operators discretion. You don't have to pay to get in, but you're there to work, not spectate if you're trackside. You have to shooting for a recognised media outlet, such as a newpaper, magazine or established website. You'll also need £5million of public liability insurance cover, although this isn't too expensive. It's almost impossible to get media accreditation at MSV owned circuits such as Oulton Park since Covid. They have massively cut down on the number of people they give accreditation to and even established pro photographers are made to shoot from the spectator areas now. You can't shoot for a team or a driver either as they won't give you accreditation for that. I shot trackside for a good few years but I haven't been accredited since the end of the 2019 season and I don't see it changing any time soon with how restrictive it now is.

Well that's that idea out of the window then, spectating it is.

Back