Broken Fly, Cluster Flies and a Couple of bees with photo-bomber.

Edit My Images
No
Spotted this fly on the side ropes of my sons swing. Thinking it would be an interesting shot with the fibres of the rope I took a shot. Only when I looked up close that this fly was rather broken... the tell tale strand of a spiders web nearby. I think perhaps the spider had attacked but the fly was caught up on the fibres.

IMG_7226.jpg

Some Cluster Flies

IMG_7231.jpg

IMG_7239.jpg

IMG_7267.jpg

Finally two Bees. The second bee shot was actually due to end up in the bin due to a few focus issues, blown highlights and particularly poor composition until I spotted the little photo-bomber beneath the flower petals. It gives you a good idea as to the size of the bee too.

IMG_7269.jpg

IMG_7238.jpg

Thank you John :)

The top one (on the blue rope) is a cluster fly (genus Pollenia - Calliphoridae), the others aren't. I think they are probably Muscids belonging to the genus Mydaea.

Thanks for the ID details Stuart. Much appreciated.

Thanks all for your comments :)

Excellent macros. I tend to repeat myself when commenting your posts...

Thanks Laser :) .... although my garden has now become devoid of any insect life. Not a thing to be seen :(

That fly sir is dysfunctional lol great set as always Ian.

Thank you Michael :). Surprise to see a reply on this, been a while since I've seen any bugs in my garden :)

Cheers

Love the bees especially the first one
They're very tricky to get :)

Excellent set Ian. I think the first is my favourite even though it's a bit gruesome. It's certainly very interesting, and those bright fibres work brilliantly in contrast to the subject.

Cheers Pete, Timmy :)

Can't wait for bug season to start again. Mind you have just started delving into the world of splash photography and also just got myself a lovely Canon 100-400mm L IS USM for sports / birds / other wildlife. :)

Back