Broken monitor

I would slam the side of the dead monitor with the palm of my hand with some force a few times and see if I can slap some life back into it. :D

Edit: This has been known to work, especially with some dry joints. Smacking it might make the loose connection make contact again. ;)

kamion said:
I would slam the side of the dead monitor with the palm of my hand with some force a few times and see if I can slap some life back into it. :D

Edit: This has been known to work, especially with some dry joints. Smacking it might make the loose connection make contact again. ;)

Alternatively , throwing out the window will :-

a) make you feel better
b) make a great BLOG shot
c) stop you worrying if it can be fixed, as it's now smashed
d) forces you to hurry up & buy that new monitor you know you want

diablotin.gif

fingerz said:
If you look at my DVI socket, there seem to be pins in the middle of the holes. And the only DVI cables I can find are male-to-male, like this one:
CAB-VGA-F2E4141.jpg

Surely they're not going to connect together, are they? A male cable going into a socket with pins in the holes? How's that work?
As far as i know, that's how it should be.

I've been using a DVI connection with my Viewsonic VX715 TFT, and it is that cable which you want, and despite how it looks, yes it will fit into your graphics card's DVI adapter.

fingerz said:
If you look at my DVI socket, there seem to be pins in the middle of the holes. And the only DVI cables I can find are male-to-male, like this one:

Surely they're not going to connect together, are they? A male cable going into a socket with pins in the holes? How's that work?

Will be fine. You want a DVI-I male to male cable for a direct connection from the pc to the panel.

To answer your other question about clarity, the best advice is to try it yourself and see. I spend 12hrs + a day in front of a monitor so I find DVI invaluable. A good CRT attached to the VGA output will suffer from less signal loss (than an identical panel) if you look at them side by side but if you intend to go for another panel in the future then dual DVI outputs on the graphics card are a must IMHO... but as with all things like this then your mileage may vary.

Digital output converted to analogue and then back to digital on the display won't ever look as nice as a pure digital connection tho. It's like copying a DVD to video and then back to DVD....

Belinea 102035W 20” widescreen monitor.
Screen resolution 1680x1050
Response time 8ms (gray to gray)
800:1 Contrast ratio
VGA and DVI input

Well my monitor arrived this morning. I paid extra for pixel check to ensure that I got a perfect one with no defects or dodgy sub pixels. Unpacked it and attached the base to the stand using the two supplied screws. The stand is stiff to adjust/move when the monitor is not sat on it (upside down while attaching the stand) but once it is the correct way up and in position, the friction seems nicely balanced. The stand tilts forward and backwards but is not height adjustable.

Default colours out of the box seem almost spot on, I have connected it using DVI and the quality is superb. The native screen resolution is 1680x1050 which gives a great deal of screen estate and is excellent for working with applications such as Photoshop and RawShooter where you can move the toolbars off to the side. Text is also crystal clear although I do use Microsoft Smart font smoothing as default (this I recommend to anyone using any TFT). Where I have it positioned (in the hall) there are no windows so the ambient light levels are low, due to this I have had to reduce the brightness and contrast as it was almost blinding, depending on your positioning, your mileage may vary here though.

This monitor is miles apart from the ones I had been using previously, the gradients are so much smoother and the details it is showing in the shades and small colour changes are easily visible. I am also pleased to say that it seems very neutral with now colour casts.

There has been one or two reports of backlight bleed on this monitor, here again I seem to have a perfect model, the light is uniform and even from the few test that I have so far conducted. I will add that I am not deliberately going to look for faults though, although I do tend to be quite demanding and have a good attention to detail.

So for me I can give it a big thumbs up and say for the money I am extremely pleased. These are my first impressions, if they change or I run into any issues I will add them into this thread.

I hope that helps anyone that was thinking of buying one of these monitors.

Steve said:
Text is also crystal clear although I do use Microsoft Smart font smoothing as default (this I recommend to anyone using any TFT).

Steve by this do you mean ClearType?

Display Properties>Appearance>Effects>Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts>ClearType

It makes a noticable difference to the appearance of fonts on TFTs

Sorry yes I do but I use the advanced version were you can tune its effects. I am on the lappy at the moment though so can't tell you the name of the file. It is available as a free download from microsoft though so with a little searching you should be able to turn it up easy enough.

If you have no luck I will be back on the main rig again later, I'll have a look then if you are interested.

lovely!

Steve do you think it makes much of a difference than just turning on Cleartype?
I've tinkered with it in the past, but it didn't make much of a difference to me. Admittedly it was a half-hearted tinker when I installed it, so if it gives a noticable improvement, then I'll surely give it another try.

I found it to make a big difference personally.

All the text on my screen looks as though it is perfect print now rather than blocky pixelated text that is usually the case with a TFT. I blame it on the HP lappy though because that uses something similiar but HP's own version which works very well. After viewing on there I had to find something that had the same effect for the main rig.

works a treat for me i must say, much clearer now, i had truetype on before but this really has made a big impact

I think I'll have a dabble again then.

With ClearType off, the fonts become blocks, yet with it on as standard, they become quite blurry. I suppose it's one extreme to another, and this should help me find good middle ground.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

Proffessional Photographer mag had a test on the following 4 monitors this month :-
- Apple 20inch Cinema Display - £550
- LaCie 321 £1300
- Eizo ColorEdge cG220 - £2800
- NEC LCD SpectraView 2180WG LED - £4350 !!!!

Conclusions were "..All the monitors tested turned in a good performances & the differences between the NEC & Eizo were really quite small when proofing for CMYK or std Epson inject output. At the lower end of the scale the Apple made the LaCie 321 look expensive, especially as you could buy it's bigger brother 1920x1200 pixel for £900 & have same screen space as Eizo.
If you really need to see those extra colours you have to pay for them. The Eizo CG220 did nearly as well on colour gamut as the NEC, which costs £1500 more.
Therefore the Eizo CG220 emerges as best value for money"

For a mere pauper like me, the Apple sounds good value for money.

The apple and the current 20" widescreen Dell use exactly the same TFT panel and the Dell is cheaper and has many extra options. It also has a free full guarantee unlike the Apple where you have to pay for service calls after 30 days.

However if you do lots of homework, you will be able to find a much better screen than both of th above for less money, it may not be as well calibrated out of the box but after a little play... ;)

Back