Beginner Bronica ETRSI, some of my first shots...

Name
Henry
Edit My Images
Yes
Some downsized versions of some of my first shots (and first scans) and only the 3rd film roll I've ever developed myself!

I recently sold all my digital kit, 5DII + lenses and bought an ETRSI. I'm using a canon 8800f to scan these and Aculux developer. I'm really happy with the images I've got
especially considering how bad lots of online forum posts say flatbed scanners are.

Any feedback would be nice and if there's any tips then that'd be great too but really I just wanted to share...

Ml2uuPH.jpg

SJVfCW0.jpg

F9QOyNJ.jpg

sKHXiGY.jpg

Some downsized versions of some of my first shots (and first scans) and only the 3rd film roll I've ever developed myself!

I recently sold all my digital kit, 5DII + lenses and bought an ETRSI. I'm using a canon 8800f to scan these and Aculux developer. I'm really happy with the images I've got
especially considering how bad lots of online forum posts say flatbed scanners are.

Any feedback would be nice and if there's any tips then that'd be great too but really I just wanted to share...

Ml2uuPH.jpg

SJVfCW0.jpg

F9QOyNJ.jpg

sKHXiGY.jpg

Hi Henry, welcome to the world of medium format!

I think that number two stands out for me in particular.

Flatbed scanners are more than capable of decent scans for web display and definitely prints of up to 8"x8". In some instances I've been able to print my 6x6cm negs up to 12"x12" and they've come out looking pretty good. It's nice to have complete control over the process from start to finish.

That said, my scans from my Epson can't really compare with the detail and colours I get from UK Film Lab if you look closely. The same probably goes with any film lab that have staff who actually know what they're doing with regard to scanning.

Last edited:
Henry, a nice set of 645 images, number 2 and 4 stand out for me, although I am also drawn to the layered nature of the composition of the first shot. You have achieved a nice range of tones with your exposure, development and scan workflow. I haven't used Paterson developer/chemicals for years, they are clearly working well for you.

I use a flatbed, and Epson V500 and with a bit of LR tweaking I am pleased with the results so am a fan of the flatbeds. As RJ says they can't compete with the high end kit at a pro lab but you can get some quite good results as you are demonstrating.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work, you have certainly hit the ground running with film!

Henry, great stuff here, all really nice. After some thought I'd probably plump for 2 as the best, but I really wanted to like no 3, which I think has the more interesting structural forms. Those wonky rod things to the right spoiled it for me, though! No 1 is a very interesting try; I think I can see what you're getting at. For me the stray twigs at the top are a problem for the effect, and I also suspect this kind of thing needs to be printed, and done so fantastically well. Somehow those textures are just not quite coming alive enough.

Beginner? Pshaw!:clap:

Hope you'll be joining us over at F&C...

No2 really stands out from this set. Not that the others are bad - just that this one is SUPERB!

I like all of these Henry with No 2 being the pick of a very fine bunch. Glad to have some more younger members of the club.(y)

Im a number 2 man. I feel it has the best contrast and most interesting appearance at first glance. Keep up the experimenting. Of you are new too home developing research 'stand' developing pretty neat. Just tried a roll a while back and pretty happy with results. I do recommend using Adinol or rodinol to develop. Shoot high contrast images at first for better results.

Back