Bronica GS-1

Name
Des
Edit My Images
Yes
I hanker after a 6x7 and of the available options we seem to hear less of the GS-1 than the others. Anyone had experience of it?

I quite fancy a Pentax 67 or (6x7) but I'm used to having MF cameras with changeable backs. The Mamiya RB67 has a following on here but not heard a lot about the GS-1.

PS - can't afford a Mamiya 7 ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the GS-1 had a great following in the UK, possibly because the RB67 had a rotating back and bellows extension which made it more versatile/easy to use? My Bronny SQ kit has had an easy life, but seems to be well built and I would think the same would apply to the GS-1. There's an article at the link that might help if you haven't seen it?
https://emulsive.org/reviews/camera-reviews/camera-review-bronica-gs1-ladric-stephenson

Last edited:
I had a GS-1 for a short while. An extremely well made camera and the lenses are very sharp, it's big and heavy (not RB/RZ heavy) though and suffers from the thing that eventually put me off it, interchangeable backs. That's just me though, everyone else seems to like them but I had too many episodes where I loaded the film back to front or not at all, it is a well known fact that I'm an eejit though.
I was very impressed with the build quality, it's a very classy bit of kit and as I said the lenses are a bit special.

Last edited:
Thanks @Peter B and @Andysnap very helpful.

I'd have to sell some of my current cameras to afford it but the lure of the BIG negative is strong...

Just AAMOI...do you mean you don't like interchangeable backs on this or any MF camera?

Generally on any camera. Don't really know why I'd just rather carry a couple of extra films and reload rather than loads of preloaded backs.

I'd probably try a GS1, they're just difficult to come by.
They always seem to be body only with nothing, or the full damn shebang with a half dozen lenses, you don't see many reasonably priced ready to shoot kits.
I see slightly more exotic 6x7's appearing more often, usually from out the country though.
I couldn't deal with an RB, Bronica is as big and daft as I wanna go with 120..:)

Back