Brooke at the Beach

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
The warm weather has led us down the beach 2 out the 3 nights. Brooke loves it there charging around on the sand and water and jumping groynes. Got a few shots I liked but my daughter's throwing arm leaves much to be desired and I can't get Brooke into the water without a ball being thrown in. and that means I always have the ball in her mouth as she is coming toward me. If I have time I will head somewhere where I can stand on one side of a big pool and then I can get her chasing the ball and shooting her before she reaches it.

_SA10373 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_SA10871 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_SA10922 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

they look good. Interesting how she’s got her eyes on you in 2&3 rather than the ball or the jump area.

they look good. Interesting how she’s got her eyes on you in 2&3 rather than the ball or the jump area.
She hardly takes her eyes off me but I think this is just a matter of the camera getting her as she is following the ball after it has bounced and she is anticipating where it will be. Perhaps Dogs eyes have a different field of view and they are capable of tracking the ball even if it isn't in the centre of that view. Great question though and Brooke rarely misses a catch so she certainly has no issue with mouth, ball and eye co-ordination. I looked a few more and there are frames where the ball is to the right or left but her gaze appears to me on the camera. Those are the shots I look for as Black Labs desperately need light in the eyes to make compelling images imo. That wee bit of orange makes a huge difference.

The warm weather has led us down the beach 2 out the 3 nights. Brooke loves it there charging around on the sand and water and jumping groynes. Got a few shots I liked but my daughter's throwing arm leaves much to be desired and I can't get Brooke into the water without a ball being thrown in. and that means I always have the ball in her mouth as she is coming toward me. If I have time I will head somewhere where I can stand on one side of a big pool and then I can get her chasing the ball and shooting her before she reaches it.

_SA10373 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_SA10871 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_SA10922 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Great shots. The second one is a cracker....

She hardly takes her eyes off me but I think this is just a matter of the camera getting her as she is following the ball after it has bounced and she is anticipating where it will be. Perhaps Dogs eyes have a different field of view and they are capable of tracking the ball even if it isn't in the centre of that view. Great question though and Brooke rarely misses a catch so she certainly has no issue with mouth, ball and eye co-ordination. I looked a few more and there are frames where the ball is to the right or left but her gaze appears to me on the camera. Those are the shots I look for as Black Labs desperately need light in the eyes to make compelling images imo. That wee bit of orange makes a huge difference.

Yes, OT but my previous terrier would look at my arm as I threw a ball and while I would throw in different directions trying to catch him out, he would set off before I threw but never made a mistake with the angle. I really don’t know quite how he did it since TD not obvious that it’s a skill a dog/wolf would need — he was a working terrier from a long line of same.

I would guess that Brooke is lookng at you but she knows where the ball is going.

Yes, OT but my previous terrier would look at my arm as I threw a ball and while I would throw in different directions trying to catch him out, he would set off before I threw but never made a mistake with the angle. I really don’t know quite how he did it since TD not obvious that it’s a skill a dog/wolf would need — he was a working terrier from a long line of same.

I would guess that Brooke is lookng at you but she knows where the ball is going.
Brooke is from generations of working Labs albeit she never made the cut. Perhaps working dogs have a little more ability when chasing targets

Brooke is from generations of working Labs albeit she never made the cut. Perhaps working dogs have a little more ability when chasing targets
Oh they do. This may be connected to the ball throwing. My terrier, who I had at 6 weeks old, when still very young was able to see/notice where I was looking and go there -- nearly with disastrous results since we were walking along a cliff-like railway cutting—- luckily on a lead.

Back