Brown and boring..............not!

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Who says all moths are brown and boring?!

Here we have a fairly large British moth of the Sphingidae family, with a wingspan of nearly 3 inches

Shown here on a wild white dog rose, the larvae feed mainly on the Rosebay Willowherb, plant with bright pink flowers, so a highly visible moth under normal circumstances melts into the background of the bright host plant, making this moth surprisingly well camouflaged in its natural environment

Elephant Hawk Moth (Deilephila elpenor) by Mr Bennett Kent, on Flickr

Elephant Hawkmoth Deilephila elpenor Macro by Mr Bennett Kent, on Flickr

Off camera flash on tripod mounted Canon 7D with the wonderful Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro lens at f/13 ISO 160

Beautiful colours. That's the lens I'm hoping to pick up next, so it's nice to see some examples of what it's capable of in the right hands. :)

Also, whoever handles the skimlinks needs to make it so that it only matches against the full words.

Wow what a beautiful creature and thanks for the info. I'm learning all the time with this macro malarkey.

Oh brilliant captures too ;)

3 inches???? Moths give me the heebie jeebies so this would send me running!

Beautiful colours. That's the lens I'm hoping to pick up next, so it's nice to see some examples of what it's capable of in the right hands. :)

Also, whoever handles the skimlinks needs to make it so that it only matches against the full words.

Many thanks Steve

I cannot praise this lens enough!

It is also razor sharp to infinity, so makes a great portrait lens

Go on......... treat yourself ;)

James

Oh I'll gladly treat myself, it's my wife that needs some convincing (particularly as I've just splashed on a 5D3)!

3 inches???? Moths give me the heebie jeebies so this would send me running!

It may be 3 inches, but it is pink and fluffy and cute, if you saw it you old want to give it a big hug :LOL:

James

Oh I'll gladly treat myself, it's my wife that needs some convincing (particularly as I've just splashed on a 5D3)!

I hear you loud and clear - I want to treat myself to the Canon 500mm f/4 L

Like thats ever going to happen! :LOL:

Cracking shot (No2) and such a lovely colour too, not seen any like that in my neck of the woods

Les (y)

Cracking shot (No2) and such a lovely colour too, not seen any like that in my neck of the woods

Les (y)

Much appreciated Les

One of the most distinctive British moths

There is a small Elephant Hawk Moth too, just as brightly coloured, but with less green

Last edited:
I found one of these in the kitchen years ago when I only had my little bridge camera. I've been hoping ever since to get another go at one now I have the camera and better skills to do it justice . . . so far it's not to be though :(

I'm unsure whether I prefer the detail in the close-up or the wider shot to give it some context, so I'll settle for saying that they're both really lovely shots James.

(I have to say that your dog rose is far more attractive than my kitchen window frame too)

I found one of these in the kitchen years ago when I only had my little bridge camera. I've been hoping ever since to get another go at one now I have the camera and better skills to do it justice . . . so far it's not to be though :(

I'm unsure whether I prefer the detail in the close-up or the wider shot to give it some context, so I'll settle for saying that they're both really lovely shots James.

(I have to say that your dog rose is far more attractive than my kitchen window frame too)

Many thanks Sara
I keep swinging between the 2, and they are very different, but right now I am liking the wider shot on the roses :)
Thanks again
James

That's a very nice Moth, I never see moths like this :(

Thanks Matt
Keep looking, they are not particularly uncommon and should be on the wing for the next 4 to six weeks!

They also have a really spectacular caterpillar later in the year

James

Back