BTCC Race 1 crash clear up

nilagin

Daniel-san
Suspended / Banned
Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Mostly taken through the fence in pouring rain which has kindly killed my camera. (Panasonic DMC FZ5)

BTCC_Raceday_017.jpg

BTCC_Raceday_018.jpg

BTCC_Raceday_026.jpg

BTCC_Raceday_100.jpg

BTCC_Raceday_101.jpg

Well the cars wil be fixed, but whats happening with your camera? :eek:

The orange Honda on the truck will probably need a new shell. Alot of work ready for the next meeting.

Camera?
It switches on and that is about it.
1. Mode selector won't work unless it is used prior to switching camera on, any selections after that it doesn't change.
2. zoom won't work but lens does move on power up.
3. takes one photo if lucky, pre focus doesn't work anymore.
4. none of the other menu buttons etc. work in any mode selection.
It's been a good camera (18 months old) Not a DSLR I know but has some useful features and with a 12x optical zoom, very handy without the need to carry around lots of kit.
Any guesses how much to repair?

:( OUCH!! Sounds expensive, sounds like rain has shorted something out, though I am no expert. At that age is it worth taking into a local shop and enquiring about repair? It may well be that replacement is cheaper.:shrug:

Mind you, I would be sticking it in the airing cupboard for 24 hours, without batteries, and seeing if a thorough drying out sorts it out. My mobile got equally sopping at goodwood, and just didnt work, but a good drying later and its working again, thogh mobiles are probably less tempermental than a camera.

Anyway, if they were the last shots off the camera, they ARE good ones, great documentary images.

When it first packed up it wouldn't even take a picture could be it's dried out all it's going to. Replacemenrt is on my mind too, (I've started a thread in "Out of focus" with regard to repair costs) Problem is I'm not sure what to buy to replace. I quite like the handiness of the camera as I take mainly motorsport photos and because of it's 12 x optical zoom it means no kit apart from spare batteries and memeory cards to carry around. A DSLR would obviously mean more kit and more expense. (I've been looking at the Canon 400)

Some nice photos. Shame about the camera. Looks to be a real mess with both the camera and the accident on track.

I havent seen the accident yet, but i heard matt neal was taken to hospital with suspected whiplash and didn't race for the rest of the day.

Good photos, sharp, full of detail and interest (I like a good crash). As for the camera, hate to tell you so but I always carry a clear plastic food freezer bag and elastic band in my camera bag - it was recently put to good use back in June while I was out and the rain poured down - kept the camera dry even if I did look like a complete fool.

Can you get proper waterproof covers for particular DSLRs ?

Back