Bubble Macro

Edit My Images
Yes
I saw mr just dave's great Bubble tank images and wanted to try something with bubbles myself.
I don't have a tank or anything in the garage to knock one up with but i do have a glass, fairy liquid and a tube.
So i half filled the glass with soapy water, dunked the tube and blew until it was over flowing with bubbles

I soon found i couldnt really get anything like mr dave but i did notice all the rainbow colours in the bubbles,
so i put my creative trousers on, got part of my extension tubes on my camera, macro'd in close and tried to capture some of the patterns and colours

Colourful Bubbles by FightingFigure, on Flickr

Colourful bubbles by FightingFigure, on Flickr

Must admit the first picture is my fav of the session i had this afternoon

The iridescence that you've captured there is really great (y) I would be proud of them images if my own (y) I know the ones you referring to of JD's (y) but these have there own quality totally different to his (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

I agree, these are more of the surface of the bubble, than the bubble itself.
Bloody hard to do, I've tried them my self.
The last one particular is good (y)

That's a nice start, these are harder to do than it seems. The bigger the light source the better and the closer it is positioned helps too:) I used this set up when I had a go:

http://www.diyphotography.net/create-wonderfull-worlds-using-soap-bubbles

and got this:

IMG_1297_psw.jpg

HTH!

holy **** :eek:

challenge accepted.
the best ill ever be able to do is match your image.. no way you could get better than that as far as i can see.
hope you dont mind i linked your picture to my little facebook page

I recently bought a light stand with a white umbrella but didnt use it for my bubble images for some reason.. tomorrow that is exactly what i'll do!

Last edited:
It's the reflection of the light source in the bubble you need, so the bigger the better! I had trouble squeezing under the softbox to take the shot. The mix I used was water:washing up liquid:glycerine 1:1:1.
Look forward to the results!

It's the reflection of the light source in the bubble you need, so the bigger the better! I had trouble squeezing under the softbox to take the shot. The mix I used was water:washing up liquid:glycerine 1:1:1.
Look forward to the results!

What does the glycerine do ? stop them from popping so quick ?
I managed these just using a ring of wire( like in a child's bubble blowing bottle).
I had about 10 seconds before it'd pop. and had to re dip it.
It got frustrating after a while...lol

Bubble surface 1 by mick.1965, on Flickr

Bubble surface 2 by mick.1965, on Flickr

all your pictures are awesome, please feel free to add as many as you like!

i just had a go, i didnt know it was a thing people did lol

you guys have certainly set the bar here, ill set myself up in a little while and see what i can do.
i dont have any glycerine though

i noticed you'd added blue food colouring to the water, good idea!
i dont have any of thay either but i shall bear it in mind for the future :)

You can buy glycerine in the baking aisle at asda! I think it raises the surface tension of the bubble. I didn't add any colouring to mine, the colours come from the slightly different thicknesses of the bubbles surface. Eventually the colours disappear as the surface becomes uniform. I've never tried a film on a wire frame sounds a bit easier than a bubble:thinking:

Right then my helpful fellows! I have been busy this afternoon :D

I couldnt be bothered to make a big soft box so i put my creative trousers back on and improvised and overcame the problem!

This is the set up i created for the lighting:

Bubble photographs set up by FightingFigure, on Flickr

2 Pieces of A3 paper, Wire coathangar, sellotape, lamp, flash on a stand and torch to help me focus.

My results may not be on par with you chaps but i am quite pleased :D

Bubble colour iridescence by FightingFigure, on Flickr

Hmm the umbrella seems a no no then :(
I would carry on with the home made lighting, prehaps substitute the paper in the arch with a more translucent material such as velum paper:thinking:
You are nearly there with the shot before the umbrella one!

thanks guys!

youre right the paper i used was from my college art gnvq days so its thick drawing paper.

i do need to go into oxford sometime soon to pick up some ink from somewhere so i can drop it into water and take shots of that. but while im there ill keep an eye out to buy some thin paper or tissue paperfrom somwhere

That earth and moon shot is utterly superb. Was there an element of luck with the positioning or is there some photoshop in there?

some great work on here
well done you guys
great to see
mick

Since the OP is happy with follow ups, here are my feeble attempts from today. There sure has been some inspiration drawn from the OP!

One of the better results:
bubble04_sml.jpg

Although not great, I quite liked this one:
bubble06_sml.jpg

'Well chuffed' that one of them is mine! Thank you. Personally, I think your other choice blows mine into the dust.

The colours that come out of this technique simply amazed me!
The control that can be achieved with the straw is the key. My son helped out with the straw blowing since my asthma got the better of me. There's an image for you :LOL:

Back