Bubble Surface

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Bored tonight so I thought I'd dig out my bubble frame and try for a few shots but my bubbles kept bursting (I think it might be the heat from the radiator killing my bubbles) :( so only 3 made the final cut:

4379613843_a9b5524a8e.jpg

Click to embiggen

4380369788_70e2aba848.jpg

Click to embiggen

4380369296_587b10c3ce.jpg

Click to embiggen

Apologies for the OOF bits, it's a combination of a very narrow DOF and the angle you need to get the light reflecting off the bubbles surface!

Carl

It's incredible what some people can achieve when they're bored!
Great shots. I keep meaning to try this but I could just end up copying everything you do!

It's incredible what some people can achieve when they're bored!
Great shots. I keep meaning to try this but I could just end up copying everything you do!

:D Cheers Jim, I'm struggling for new ideas at the moment (hint hint!) so I'm falling back on old ideas. If you need any hints or tips on setup let me know ;)

As always, awesome stuff Carl :)

Ta Ash, still thinking about surface tension!!

I like the fist best, it looks like some one has flicked paint on it lol

Carl you need to get out more. :D

Finally your bubble has burst huh :LOL: Still cracking stuff Carl. (y)

Wow!! Great stuff. Can you point me in the right direction to learn how to do this too please?

Wow, stunning images Carl... I need to get me some bubble mix...

Wow!! Great stuff. Can you point me in the right direction to learn how to do this too please?

Start here for the basic idea: Microscopy article

You'll need to play around with the angles to get enough light reflecting off the surface of the bubble, it's a bit trial and error. Keep shutter speed high, preferably 1/90 or faster as the surface moves around at a surprising speed. For my frame I just use garden tie wrap formed into a square, no need for anything too fancy!

Wow, stunning images Carl... I need to get me some bubble mix...

1/3 water, 1/3 glycerine and 1/3 washing up liquid works great!

Carl

Back