Bubbles the Lez325 way

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I saw the 'cooking oil on water' thread earlier, and I liked them. Seeing as Les was so kind as to give a guide as to how it was done I thought I'd give it a bash. (nothing on TV !)
So here are my results, not as sharp as others, but I'm only using a close up lens filter and not a Macro Lens.
Hope you like :)
IMG_9083.jpg

IMG_9091.jpg

IMG_9098.jpg

IMG_9100.jpg

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9110.jpg

Thanks for looking :wave:

Nice colours and content(y) but as you indicate, they are a tad on the soft side.

very nice for a 1st attempt-glad you liked my tutorial- may I ask what f/ stop youre using as they do appear a tad soft focus wise ( I recommend f8- f11)

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
All of these were between f8 & f13, around 1/15sec and ISO 400.
I was using my 10x filter which has an incredibly shallow DOF, but I was trying to fill the frame so I wouldn't have to crop so much.
I wasn't sure if the slow shutter speed was helping things, I was on a tripod using a remote shutter. But I was a little impatient with waiting for the water to come to a complete stop.
I will definitely give it another go, and just tinker with things.
Thanks to you Les, and Brash for posting your excellent oil shots.

All of these were between f8 & f13, around 1/15sec and ISO 400.
I was using my 10x filter which has an incredibly shallow DOF, but I was trying to fill the frame so I wouldn't have to crop so much.
I wasn't sure if the slow shutter speed was helping things, I was on a tripod using a remote shutter. But I was a little impatient with waiting for the water to come to a complete stop.
I will definitely give it another go, and just tinker with things.
Thanks to you Les, and Brash for posting your excellent oil shots.

You'll need more that 1/15 Michael. Even if you think the water and oil is completely still, it won't be. Either use a flash or get some portable lighting in to brighten the subject, that'll let you up the shutter speed thus improving sharpness and even let you go hand hold to get better composition.

Last edited:
Right, these are my final efforts, I guess I've found the limit of a kit lens and close up filter.
Some of these were taken using my 270ex flash, and others were still using the desk lamp with an increased ISO. No matter what I do I just cant seem to get the sharpness!
But it was good fun taking them (y)
IMG_9128.jpg

IMG_9173.jpg

IMG_9177.jpg

IMG_9185.jpg

IMG_9213.jpg

Thanks for looking :wave:

some lovely shots ( focus aside) you really need a Macro lens or a 50mm and some extension tubes, a much cheaper option

Keep at it

Les (y)

Thanks Les, better have a look to see what pennies there are down the side of he sette!

Intriguing no.3 image has an almost Mandelbrot quality in it's pattern

Nice shots

Thanks Nikon Man, I now know all about Mandelbrot thanks to Wikipedia! Well I say know, what I mean is totally baffled, but I can see what you mean. Thanks for looking...

Thanks Nikon Man, I now know all about Mandelbrot thanks to Wikipedia! Well I say know, what I mean is totally baffled, but I can see what you mean. Thanks for looking...

Me too:)

Back