Budget carbon travel tripods

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Let me start by saying that I generally dislike using a tripod - it usually gets in the way of creativity, even for landscape use, and by the time everything is set up I've forgotten what I was going to photograph or the light has changed.

But.

They are essential sometimes, and there are times when I wish I had a lightweight, compact one when travelling. My kit is now Sony A7III and the heaviest lens is only around 800g on top of that, so I don't need something to support 5kg. Are there any downsides to the relatively cheap carbon travel tripods on Amazon - thinking Neewer, Rollei, K&F or even Amazon basics in the £60-£90 range.

Examples:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-centimeters-Monopod-Camcorder-kilograms/dp/B01KTHUBLQ/ref=sr_1_20?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept-TC2335-Lightweight-Portable-Sections/dp/B07NW5MBYY/ref=sr_1_4?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rollei-Traveler-Monopod-Arca-Swiss-release/dp/B07JFXZFRZ/ref=sr_1_14?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-52-Inch-Carbon-Travel-Tripod/dp/B00DHPCSA0/ref=sr_1_15?

Last edited:
Firstly forget the weight ratings on tripods - they are meaningless. I used to have a Manfrotto 055 (considered reasonably sturdy by most) which I could collapse without bothering to release the leg locks, yet I had a lighter Gitzo that I could not collapse with my whole 110 kilo weight - quality counts. Their weight ratings were not much different. however what matters is what focal length they are suitable for, the Manfrotto 200mm or so - the lighter Gitzo was well up to my 800mm. I know you are not after tripods for these sort of lenses but you get the picture + that used Gitzo was £30 cheaper too!

Secondly you don't like using a tripod. Well getting a cheap piece of %$& will confirm your dislike of them! Scour the used market and get something decent that will last, do the job properly and you can sell for decent money if you go off the idea. I use a very nice condition Gitzo G1550T (Traveller) which set me back £140 and a friend picked up a mintish Feisol CT3342 for £90. Both are excellent, rigid, light, robust and will probably outlast us. The Gitzo packs a bit smaller and is a little more adaptable, the Feisol is lighter and more rigid - I rather like it.

Guessing budget travel tripods will be similar to budget travel
Gets the job done, but won't be a very pleasant experience and bit more cash gets you something much nicer

I have a a “Benro FSL09CN00”, it is excellent and is easily converted to a monopod. They also do the same tripod made of Aluminium which is a bit cheaper than the Carbon Fibre unit.

George.

When the tripod gets small (ie travel tripod) there is very little difference in weight between Carbon Fibre and Aluminium versions of the same tripod, sometimes only a couple of hundred grams, but often the CF version is at least 50% more £££

Is there much or indeed any difference between the rigidity of the two materials?

Firstly forget the weight ratings on tripods - they are meaningless. I used to have a Manfrotto 055 (considered reasonably sturdy by most) which I could collapse without bothering to release the leg locks, yet I had a lighter Gitzo that I could not collapse with my whole 110 kilo weight - quality counts. Their weight ratings were not much different. however what matters is what focal length they are suitable for, the Manfrotto 200mm or so - the lighter Gitzo was well up to my 800mm. I know you are not after tripods for these sort of lenses but you get the picture + that used Gitzo was £30 cheaper too!

Secondly you don't like using a tripod. Well getting a cheap piece of %$& will confirm your dislike of them! Scour the used market and get something decent that will last, do the job properly and you can sell for decent money if you go off the idea. I use a very nice condition Gitzo G1550T (Traveller) which set me back £140 and a friend picked up a mintish Feisol CT3342 for £90. Both are excellent, rigid, light, robust and will probably outlast us. The Gitzo packs a bit smaller and is a little more adaptable, the Feisol is lighter and more rigid - I rather like it.

The grip of the leg locks on a manfrotto O55 are fully adjustable for tightness. They can hold far more than the recommended weight if needed. Gitzo and manfrotto come out of the same factory, though the finish and design varies between them.

OK, so no specific objections. Thanks gents.

I agree with pretty much all that's been said except that lower cost doesn't always mean poor performance - my RedSnapper tripod works well, but is too bulky for travel. I'd want it for ok exposure shots with a 24-105 zoom so weight bearing is a non-issue. I was tempted by a Joby, but poor build and materials seem to be a problem, even with the 'professional' models.

OK, so no specific objections. Thanks gents.

I agree with pretty much all that's been said except that lower cost doesn't always mean poor performance - my RedSnapper tripod works well, but is too bulky for travel. I'd want it for ok exposure shots with a 24-105 zoom so weight bearing is a non-issue. I was tempted by a Joby, but poor build and materials seem to be a problem, even with the 'professional' models.
I use a feisol ct3442 (ct3342 before that) with my A7RIII and 24-105. I have a markins ballhead which is simply brilliant with friction control. I basically use this setup for everything.

I have the Neewer tripod #1 in your list and i cant fault it. When I bought mine it came with an extra much shorter center column so allowing for lower to ground shots without hanging your camera hanging upside down. The ball head it came with can easily hold a Nikon d7200 with grip and a Sigma 150-600(c) lens without sagging. The only downside to this tripod imo is the twist lock legs I prefer lever locks, the twist locks are too much faffing about. For a lightwieght walk about tripod for the money you could do worse

Last edited:
Is there much or indeed any difference between the rigidity of the two materials?

Not much, but this is an exercise in saving a few extra ounces. The idea is to have a single bag with camera system, laptop and tripod for travelling, and it has to be carryable through an airport.

I use a feisol ct3442 (ct3342 before that) with my A7RIII and 24-105. I have a markins ballhead which is simply brilliant with friction control. I basically use this setup for everything.

I'll take a look (and at Benro).

I have the Neewer tripod #1 in your list and i cant fault it. When I bought mine it came with an extra much shorter center column so allowing for lower to ground shots without hanging your camera hanging upside down. The ball head it came with can easily hold a Nikon d7200 with grip and a Sigma 150-600(c) lens without sagging. The only downside to this tripod imo is the twist lock legs I prefer lever locks, the twist locks are too much faffing about. For a lightwieght walk about tripod for the money you could do worse

I really appreciate some user feedback, thank Gary.

Not much help on the travel front, but generally ...
I used to have a Manfrotto 055 (considered reasonably sturdy by most) which I could collapse without bothering to release the leg locks
And you'd adjusted the lever clamps? Which is one of their great virtues, the other being speed of operation.
The grip of the leg locks on a manfrotto O55 are fully adjustable for tightness.

In a way, a lightweight tripod defeats the point of using a tripod. A tripod needs some kind of weight to it to function usefully (or hang your bag from it when it is set up..........)....
Quite so!

Looks pretty decent for the price that one. If I thought I'd use a tripod more often I might go for that. I had a decent Giottos tripod but ended up selling it because I used it maybe 5 times in 2 year!

I wouldn't ignore weight ratings btw but more so for the head you attach, it can matter. Just allow some headroom, the higher recommended max load the better chance it won't dip on you when you attach a larger lens.

Atm the only tripod I have is a Manfrotto pixi mini, basically a little table top tripod - it's handy to have in the bag for the odd time I might want to do a long exposure - but I have to find a suitable wall/rock/tree stump ... bin etc to place it on. It's also really not good with heavier lenses unless they have a tripod collar. I wouldn't mind having that Newer one

I've been using an "OBO" branded carbon tripod for about 3 years with a full size DSLR plus some heavy lenses and it never let me down. Cost about £60 I think. Try Amazon or Ebay.

The tiniest travel model I use is the Mundo 522. It easily holds these: D810, sigma150, 2 novoflex Castel plates on Manfrotto 410j. All 5 go on the tripod quite ok. For my use, it's essentially macro so I don't need to pull the legs up higher than 2 sections [emoji16]

Not much help on the travel front, but generally ...

And you'd adjusted the lever clamps? Which is one of their great virtues, the other being speed of operation.
Quite so!

Yup. Bought my 055 XB Pro brand new and thought it was the "Dog's Dangly Bits" until I put a reasonable (well within spec) load on it. Nipped up the tension on the leg locks until they worked nearly properly and then found that they were too stiff to operate and caught my pinkies occasionally + they would still give under pressure. Tried an ancient Gitzo G1329 Mk2 (4 generations older than current models), tightened the leg locks moderately and swung me (110 Kilos) off it - no creep, no collapsing, no drama + it was lighter too!

The Manfrotto was £130 at the time I bought it and the Gitzo G1329 Mk2 + G1318 centre column was £100 (used, in very nice nik) - next question?

I bought a Sirui T-1204X Carbon Travel Tripod on here for £85
It replaced a manfrotto 190.
I've used a benro al147xl in the past so I know about sturdy tripods. I also know about the pain of carrying it for miles.
I wanted something lighter to use with my m43 gear.
The sirui is great with my g80, 100-400 and gimbal.
Its sturdier than my 190b and is smaller and lighter to carry.
Can hook my bag underneath if required.
It's never going to be the sturdiest at that sort of price, but I didn't have hundreds of pounds to spend and it works great for me.
I used it on Harris last week when it was windy on the beach without issue.

Last edited:
Back