Build a better mouse trap

Name
Renee
Edit My Images
Yes
I have taken some of Dena's advice and redi my home "studio". The outdoor light was atrocious today so I had to be on a relatively slow shudder speed. I think getting a 2 1/2 year old to sit still for 1/25 of a second is just too much to ask. Let me know if I'm moving in the right direction or way off the mark!

B_W-Keegan1-resize.jpg

portrait5-resize.jpg

portrait1-resize.jpg

C&C always welcome!

Renee

Hi Renee.

I'm not sure on the colour ones, they look too overprocessed for me I think.
Gorgeous eyes, but they look way *too* blue).

The mono works for me, you can just imagine him sitting watching something with interest, waiting for something to happen, or like he's watching a ladybird crawl along the floor. (y)

Yeah I think I had too much fun with the sponge in PS. Back to the drawing board!

oooh, keep at it! I like the first shot as well. I can tell that you moved him away from the backdrop this time. Slow shutters will get you everytime with kids though. Try to keep the shutter at least the same as your focal length (if not twice that) when handheld. 50mm lens should not go lower than 1/60 ss. But 1/100 would be better. Although, it looks like you used flash here, is that right?

Renee,

I like the pose in number two, but agree that perhaps the PSing has been over done...He has a killer smile though and I bet he has no trouble wrapping folkd around his little finger!

You say you've change your home studio set up...would you care to explain how its set up now???

regards,

Pete

I like them all Renee, the B&W especially although I'm suppressed you haven't sharpened it more.

The colour shots look spot on to me colour wise, but I can see blue in you light reflections...so I'm guessing you'd need to adjust your white balance to get rid of that cast. :shrug:

Beautiful shots well exposed. They look right on the mark to me. :)

Dena,
I did not use flash this time although I may need to look at the exif data because I believe I tried it for a couple but didn't like the colour. What I did do is use some household light laying on their side pointing just behind where Keegan sat and an overhead light directly above him plus the window light. Which is where I got into trouble because with all the different temperatures of light the camera (and me) got confused. You can see in #3 he has moved back and the light is pointing directly at his head on the right of the picture (left of his head).

Pete,

I actually taped a white sheet to the wall and over a door and then layed another one on the floor. Measured out 5 feet and put an upside down clothes basket there for Keegan to sit/stand/kneel or do whatever on. Really high tech stuff! :D

Back