Building/model release forms?!

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
:help:
I am hoping to enter the WCPF Members Exhibition this year. I was reading their info section and there is a bit on permission forms. It says

One of the biggest mistake photographers make when they take pictures, is to believe that they can use their images wherever and however they wish.
Quite simply, it's not that simple!

Whether you are photographing people who know they are being photographed, buildings you have been allowed to photograph or shooting 'on the fly'. If you want to place those images with a stock agency, sell them, syndicate them or publish them you are going to have to make sure that you have a signed model/building release form.

Rules on when you need this vary greatly from country to country and you can never expect a signed release form to be a fail-safe security blanket.

However, it's a vital first step into protecting yourself from expensive litigation.

Three forms available here to cover the three basic requirements, a model release for adults, one for minors and one for buildings.

Taken from Professional Photographer Magazine
From WCPF useful info page (at the bottom): http://www.wcpf.org.uk/pages/useful-info..php
There is also a link to Professional Photographer Magazine on that page.

I have a picture of a chrch including the manorial that I wanted to enter. Do I need to get a form completed by the church owner, whom ever that may be? The entries have to be in by the 8th March so I don't know if I'm going to have time to sort the form. I can understand this procedure for models but buildings? How far do you go? What about cars etc?

Thanks loads
Mike

:help:
I am hoping to enter the WCPF Members Exhibition this year. I was reading their info section and there is a bit on permission forms. It says

From WCPF useful info page (at the bottom): http://www.wcpf.org.uk/pages/useful-info..php
There is also a link to Professional Photographer Magazine on that page.

I have a picture of a chrch including the manorial that I wanted to enter. Do I need to get a form completed by the church owner, whom ever that may be? The entries have to be in by the 8th March so I don't know if I'm going to have time to sort the form. I can understand this procedure for models but buildings? How far do you go? What about cars etc?

Thanks loads
Mike

The usual copyright and trademark principles apply. Older building are free from copyright so the church is totally fine if. Some buildings can be subject to trademark. London gherkin for example is best left alone, unless its placement is only incidental. Then it depends on the intended use. Editorial is always totally OK, while advertising may run a lot more risks. Then again if you sell wisely you can make the buyer liable for all releases (i.e. you do not take on any responsibility and hope they don't run away)

The copyright of a building (if it has one) cannot be infringed by a photograph of it. Only by an identical or very similar building.

And trade derss infringement only applies to mis-representation. A picture of a building does not in itself mis-represent it. The context it is presented in might though.

It is always the end user/publisher of the image who takes on any risks. If you sell usage rights to someone, it's up to them to ensure they are using them properly.

Steve.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help everyone. That's put my mind at ease.

I'm going to enter the photo and I'll let you know how I get on, although I'm not confident lol.

Last edited:
Back