Building Site - updated

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
For my job I was on a building site for a day and during a bit of a low period I decided to get my camera out and try my hand at some abstract shots around the storage yard.

I'm not great at PP yet but here are a handful I have done so far.

Any C&C on the framing of the shots and the PP would be great, thanks.

ScaffPipes by richardmcbrayne, on Flickr

ScaffPlanks High Contrast by richardmcbrayne, on Flickr

AcoDrain by richardmcbrayne, on Flickr

ScafClips by richardmcbrayne, on Flickr

I think I have at least one, maybe 2 more that I will post up when I get a chance to process them.

Last edited:
First one works a treat for me. Very good!

Some interesting alternatives there ... bet you got some funny looks :D

Thanks for the comments guys.

#1 was the shot in my head when I first thought about getting the camera out.

Not too many funny looks but the site agent thought I was bonkers when I asked if he had any problems with me taking shots, either that or I was secretly someone from the HSE!!

My preference in abstracts is to have something still recognisable. With that in mind 1, 2 and 4 do it for me. I like 3 as an image, but can't work out what it is.

Really excellent setof 'found object' abstracts, very subtle and beautifully exposed. A great set all round in my view

Wow, thanks guys. I'm really pleased with this set too and I think these are some of the best comments i've had about my photography so far.

As for number 3, it's an aco drain like you'd find in front of a garage or in the middle of open car parks and that sort of place.

Fantastic set. I have spent a fair amount of time on building sites but there was never a right moment to take my precious out. That or I left it at home so it wouldn't be nicked.

35 1.8 is it? Gosh is there no way I can escape buying this lens?! I've been avoiding it for ages.

Last edited:
tictoc said:
35 1.8 is it? Gosh is there no way I can escape buying this lens?! I've been avoiding it for ages.

Yep that's right. It's a great lens. I deliberated over buying it for ages but now I have it i'm not sure why it took me so long to get it. Do it, you won regret it.

Chain shot is excellent and adds to an already very strong abstract collection

macs said:
Yep that's right. It's a great lens. I deliberated over buying it for ages but now I have it i'm not sure why it took me so long to get it. Do it, you won regret it.

Just bought Lightroom 4 instead, on offer for the U.S. holidays. No chance of lens calibration issues at least! I did used to have a Sigma 30 1.4 and liked the shots but sold it as I mainly used my zoom. Got a 50 now too and the focal lengths seem too close to bother having both.

Back