Built a couple of small container ponds in the garden...

Name
Fi
Edit My Images
Yes
Great stuff.

I'd be interested in what you actually built and how it looks. I'm hoping that when we move I will be able to build some water features to attract wildlife, as well as a reflection pool...

Great stuff.

I'd be interested in what you actually built and how it looks. I'm hoping that when we move I will be able to build some water features to attract wildlife, as well as a reflection pool...

Thanks Steve - they are nothing special at all, just a couple of containers from the garden centre that we've had for a while, small stones in the bottom, few reedy type plants and some oxygenating plants in the bottom. It is something I have done with these containers before with some success attracting bugs and frogs etc.

This is what they look like after beeing battered by last nights storms - need to fish all the crap tht came off the trees out of them! The sticks are so bugs that fall in have a change of climbing back out.

20180527_182742 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Nice little damsels. Different from ours over here. Interesting that you can attract them with so little water. There must be quite a lot nearby.

some cracking shots there

Nice little damsels. Different from ours over here. Interesting that you can attract them with so little water. There must be quite a lot nearby.

Thanks both - and I thought the same Steve but I can't think where unless someone else around our way has a big pond in their garden. The nearest lake / stream / river is a fair distance away.

A nice straightforward looking garden pond attracting worthwhile visitors.......got me thinking :)

Nice set of images and the first picture looks like it has 'lunch' in it's mouth.

PS looking at the tubs, we have two the same. Semi redundant now as used in previous years to grow a wigwam planting of runner beans.

Last edited:
This should be a WCMUT

Doing the gardening today I spotted two Damsels one of which I managed to get to land on my hand :)

FWIW the nearest natural watercourse (mostly faster flowing) is approx 300 yards away....................not sure about the neighbours gardens.

Thanks both - and I thought the same Steve but I can't think where unless someone else around our way has a big pond in their garden. The nearest lake / stream / river is a fair distance away.
They need puddles that hang around for weeks but I guess that wouldn't be unusual in England. I suspect that there is a world of life near your house. you just need to encourage it. We get frogs by the back door and the creek is 50m down the hill. Mind you, most of our frogs are tree frogs and they really do live in trees.

Back