Bulk Loader or Bulk Film problems

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm shooting more B&W these days, so I bought a used Computrol Bulk Loader and a 30m roll of HP5. All went well, loaded up the roll into the bulk loader and attempted to load a 35mm cartridge.

However, the roll of HP5 jammed on the spindle of the loader and the film snapped after rolling about 6 frames. I put the loader in a changing bag, dismantled the Computrol and the centre spindle is definitely too tight for the HP5. My only course of action was to put the film back in its box, remove the spindle and sand of a good few mm's off its diameter. Id say its probably 5 to 7mm diameter now. it works, but a bit sticky.

I can't source a picture of a used roll of 30m HP5, but the centre hole must be very small, a lot smaller than other bulk rolls Ive seen. In fact, there was an old roll in the loader which must have been about 25mm diameter and it had another collar inside which fitted the computrol.

Anyone had similar issues? Ideally anyone got a picture of the centre of a 30m roll of HP5? Im actually thinking (by feeling with my fingers in the dark) that the hole is square?

Hi Ian,
Sounds bit odd to be such a small hole in the center of the roll of film. The spindle in my bulk loader is 8mm diameter and is metal so looks as though the roll would not fit mine, its Western I have add for years, not used it for while now though.
Just a thoight but you say a square hole, could there be something in there that you could push out, I know its a bit difficult when you cannot see what it looks like......

I actually thought there was maybe a push out part, but there isn't. In fact, in the bag, I had to turn the loader upside down and force the spindle out of the film roll it was that tight.

Thanks for that. The spindle is definitely to large for the roll. Dismantled, the spindle won't fit through the centre of the roll. The spindle is tapered slightly but this just causes the roll the lock tight, hence the broken film.

Back