(Bumble) bees and friends.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Every one a fabulous shot & liking the bee shots the best (y)

I like the moth shot out of the set which is very good.

I couldn't pick a favourite, you have a good set of images here, lovely compositions, lighting and vibrancy :D

Sent from The Moon.....

Overall it's not a bad set but there is certainly room for a little improvement, mostly I'll add in processing..

#1. This is a very strong image, the colours, focus and exposure are pretty much spot on. Plus the fact that the subject is facing the camera for me makes it very good, it almost give a feel of the bee is interacting with you the viewer...but for me it's a touch too central in frame, I'd crop just a little of the bottom and the right of frame just to take it off centre and I think that would vastly improve the look, also there's some quite visible just spots that can be seen in the green in the LHS of the image, so it's likely time to give your sensor a clean to avoid having to clean up the image in PP

#2. While there is nothing at all wrong with the technicalities of this photo, I don't particularly like it as its shot from above the bee, whereas in the first you get the feeling of interacting with the subject this has a feeling over just observing it...far better to get down with the subject even when they're small...

#3. What good moment, where it's straddling or stretched between too blooms, I cannot help but find the green leaf in the upper right a touch of a distraction, I'd almost be tempted to crop in real tight on this to show of the behaviour of climbing over to the next bloom rathe than flying, with the added bonus that this will take out most if not all of that leaf..

#4. Lovely focus and a great amount of detail in the fur on the body of the bee, however it's being drowned out a bit by the really vibrant green, truthfully for me if feels like a combination of vibrancy and saturation has been overlooked, at the very least I'd look at dialling back the green colour channel to take away some of the situation and bring attention back onto the subject..

#5. Very strong, I like it a lot the most minor of things is I'd love there to be just a touch more room at the top of frame just so the yellow centre of the flower isn't quite so tight on the edge of frame, this is one instance where looking from above really does work as the bulk of the interest in the subject is seen from above...you've caught a wonderful amount of detail down to you can even see that this moth has been very active with lots of particles of pollen on it, I also like how the 4 yellow spots mirror the colour of the flowers heart...

#6. Similar to #5 because the bulk of the interest is on the top it works to shoot from the top, but because of the size and position of the subject I'd be tempted to crop in a bit tighter make it fill the frame a little more (y)

Matt

Thanks John, Steve and T.

Thanks for the detailed C&C Matthew, I'll try to keep this in mind, And yes, the sensor does need a clean:(.

I've just discovered bees are a nightmare to identify, and you have a great selection of species here. Number one is my favourite for the reasons Matt mentions above. I think that hoverfly is the closest match I've ever seen to a bee! I definitely thought it was another bee species at first glance.

Back