Bundled software with D40 & 450D advice please.

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask about the editing "in the box" software which comes with the Canon 450D & the Nikon D60 as I am considering buying one of these cameras.

I believe that the supplied software with the Canon is superior to the Nikon.

One of my main concerns is if I were to get dust spots on my photos. I am aware that Canon software allows it to be removed using the stamp tool as seen here.

Would it be possible to do this with the supplied Nikon software or would I need to buy capture nx to do this.

Thanks for looking, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Topic title should read D60, not D40.

Canon's software is considered superior for sure and many people use it - the RAW conversion software is fine. If you have a tight budget then it is worth getting the Canon until you can afford better software. Also, I'm a canon fan so I'll always suggest the Canon! I'm sure the 450D is better than the D60 too!

The Gimp is more capable than Photoshop Elements and is free.

I wouldn't worry about software. Slapo has a long list of free and zero-cost programs.

Yes, but in general it's only the difference between having five tutorials for the same thing and having twenty. And once the basics are mastered, tutorials for photoshop CS can be easily translated into the Gimp as the functionality is virtually the same.

Thanks for the advice chaps, much appreciated. It has certainly given me a few options to consider, I do like the look of Photoshop Elements 6 though.

Dogfish_magnet, thanks for the advice. I do intend to have a "feely" of my short listed choices as I realise that this is probably one of the most important factors in camera choice.

I would be grateful however if someone could let me know that if it is possible to erase dust spots with the supplied software with a Nikon D60 as a "get me up & running" measure, I could consider buying or picking a free program from Slapo's list afterwards.

Bundled software is probably not the best way to decide on which camera to buy....

:agree:

That said, DPP and Photostitch - part of the bundled software with the Canon DSLR's are good. I'm a Canon-Man (sounds like something from a circus!) and my Dad is a Nikon-Man - I use my bundled software along side my main programmes and they work well. My Dad however doesn't use the Nikon software at all. Read in that what you will.

I would be grateful however if someone could let me know that if it is possible to erase dust spots with the supplied software with a Nikon D60 as a "get me up & running" measure, I could consider buying or picking a free program from Slapo's list afterwards.

I wouldnt worry to much about dust spots you will only see them when using small apertures (big f numbers) and you can just clone them out using a clone tool / healing brush which are included with most editing packages - Which software comes with the D60 ? - you will probably end up buying or using 3rd party software like photoshop elements or gimp in the long run.

AFAIK no. However a new camera is not likely to have dust spots. Also you can download the Gimp or a legal trial version of Photoshop or Capture NX 2 and have it up and running in ten minutes time so I don't see why you would want to use the supplied software.

I can think of several reasons for choosing the 450D but this is not one of them.

Sorry, butI can't really see the "free" software that is bundled with a camera as being a good reason to choose one brand/system over another. I have never even opened the packaging on the software that came bundled with any of my cameras.

There are plenty of free programmes available online that are superior to anything you'll get for free from Canon or Nikon.

There are many factors that should sway your purchase decision, but this isn't one of them.

This is the thread mentioned earlier:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=70196

Frankly, the D60 has a bit less fancy features than the low end bodies in that price range, but it's quite a capable camera and I've seen all kind of good shots made with it (bad too, but that was the photographer... it's almost always the photographer if a shot isn't good).

Canon's DPP is a bit better featured than Nikon's ViewNX, but they're both good when it comes to converting supported raws and doing minor edits to them.

If you want a healing brush for free, try the GIMP. If you're confused with the interface, stick to it for a bit, you'll get used to it quickly. There should be a link in my sig pointing to my site where I have a small collection of GIMP related links. Those should help.
There's a bit of a learning curve for ANY image editing program you'll try to use and the basic functions are very similar in all of them.

Frankly, the D60 has a bit less fancy features than the low end bodies in that price range, but it's quite a capable camera and I've seen all kind of good shots made with it (bad too, but that was the photographer... it's almost always the photographer if a shot isn't good).

Canon's DPP is a bit better featured than Nikon's ViewNX, but they're both good when it comes to converting supported raws and doing minor edits to them.

If you want a healing brush for free, try the GIMP. If you're confused with the interface, stick to it for a bit, you'll get used to it quickly. There should be a link in my sig pointing to my site where I have a small collection of GIMP related links. Those should help.
There's a bit of a learning curve for ANY image editing program you'll try to use and the basic functions are very similar in all of them.

Thanks for the sound advice Slapo, & everyone else also.

I am fairly sure I will pick the Nikon D60 or the Canon 450d, hopefully before the present cashback offers end. I can always have a look at software options afterwards. I would be more than happy with a "entry level" dslr, although I would pick one with image stabilisation in the lens, sensor cleaning & small body, hence my shortlist.

Back