Burn through the woods

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Went for a walk with the dog and stopped to capture this, passed it many times and decided to take the camera and see what i could do.

Everyone has their own taste regarding PP, i feel this was the best two finals...

WoodsBurnHDR1.jpg

WoodsBurnHDR2.jpg

I have favorite of the two but which one is it?

Please throw everything you have at me to help me learn and prep for my trip to Skye and area next month

Mike

to be honest i cant see a difference between the images :shrug:

very subtle differences to me

top one looks like it is a bit blacker giving it a bit more detail , could be wrong though

to be honest i cant see a difference between the images :shrug:

Thank god for that, thought I was going crazy! :thinking:

I'm struggling to see any difference as well, even had to check the filepaths to makes sure they weren't the same. As for the image, it's ok, but doesn't really interest me too much; it just looks like a section of river. Trying to think what I would change, but I'm not entirely sure.

Edit: that sounds a bit harsh, I don't mean it to be, honest! I think the technique isn't too far off, but the choice of subject just needs refining.

Last edited:
Very little in them for me. If I had to pick I would go for number 1. It’s slightly darker on the blacks so just looks a little more finished.

As for the images. I have to agree, there’s not a lot to make it pop out as anything other than a bit of river (sorry about that Mike!). Maybe next time use a tripod and go for a long exposure and see what some movement will give the image. It can make the mundane really different and really stand out.

One tip I read here (I think) for taking a landscape and something I think is so key. When your there taking the shot your eyes see everything but your brain focuses in the details and fools you into thinking “what a wonderful landscape when in fact is is just a small detail thats wonderful. When you take the photograph the camera sees and records everything equally. When you look at the photograph afterwards your brain focuses on the photograph and no longer the tiny detail that atracted your attention inthe first place. Not sure if I explained that very well :thinking:

Debs

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, I think i was more focused on the fact this was 4 exposures from -2 to +1, i then used photomatix to combine them and tried hard to make it look as non HDR as possible. Nobody mentioned that so im happy that it wasnt an obvious HDR :)

Due to the trip i am planning and being so new at this I used this as another opertunity to play with HDR although i can completely appreciate the fact that the subject is a little pointless. I think my aim was to make it as sharp and detailed as possible although after it is hosted on photobucket the image is now way softer and the differences between them is hardly visable, the top one has the contrast slide right up nearly compared to the bottom one creating much more detail and removing what looks like a un natural film tint that was shown in the original 2nd pic.

There is so much to think about when taking pics that i normally miss or forget most of it and like Debs said I do home in on a bit of detail then seem to skip the other factors. The 4 pics went from -2 1/2 sec to +1 3 sec, i hoped it would allow a basic replication of an ND Grad with total exposure between them all at around 6 secs.

Just shows how much i have to learn :bang::bonk:

Homing in the detail and missing the 40 foot lorry parked just to the left of flower you had seen is something I have done over and over again.

Stick with it and enjoy what you do. At the end of the day, if your happy with what you have and you got what you set out to get that's all that matters. You can always go back and do it again.

Debs

Back