Burnham Beeches

Name
Pip
Edit My Images
Yes
Took my dog for a long walk through Burham Beeches this afternoon. Took camera and tripod as well, took loads of shots, walked for miles, got lost and couldn't work out which way the car was and then caught in the rain... all in all a good day then!

Tried to mainly focus on pano's but haven't processed them yet. After a quick review I've put together the HDR I took (yes, it is 3 images!) and tried to process it so it reflected the fantastic colours I could see rather than the garish colours that seem to annoy so many people here (although I love'em!).

Anyway, here's my little offering - C&C requested as always, I'd love ideas for improving my composition too.

Beeches2.jpg

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:
I don't know what it is about that place. Been there loads of times and I've never taken a single good photo. I think it might be down to the light always being poor, and I think you've had the same problem here. Composition looks OK but I think there needs to be more of a focal point. I follow the stream up into the photo and don't really get anything when I get there.

My main comment on this would be the lack of colour. It's looking extremely flat to me. And the leaves are, well, a bit of a mush... there doesn't seem to be any definition in them.

Got to agree - not very crisp which I put down to the merging of images.
Have you got a single one you can put up?

How sturdy is your tripod? I know that some people make very sharp HDRs. I'm just wondering if there is a teensie amount of shake between the images?

Do you use remote?

Would that make any difference? (Q for the hdr speialists?)

I don't know what it is about that place. Been there loads of times and I've never taken a single good photo. I think it might be down to the light always being poor, and I think you've had the same problem here. Composition looks OK but I think there needs to be more of a focal point. I follow the stream up into the photo and don't really get anything when I get there.
Good point. The light was ok to good I think at times (but not particularly when I took this), although I'm not too sure I managed to get anything more than half decent this afternoon.

My main comment on this would be the lack of colour. It's looking extremely flat to me. And the leaves are, well, a bit of a mush... there doesn't seem to be any definition in them.
Yes, I was struggling to catch all the golds on the floor wasn't I?
I need to a) learn how to set up to capture what I see; b) learn how to use all the filters I've got but haven't tried yet; and c) get better at PP to bring out all the brilliant colours.

Thank you both for the honest C&C.

Got to agree - not very crisp which I put down to the merging of images.
I'm sure I can post the 'normal' one of the set of three
How sturdy is your tripod? I know that some people make very sharp HDRs. I'm just wondering if there is a teensie amount of shake between the images?
Now that sounds like a smutty question! Probably not very, it's quite old and a bit fiddly for me.

Do you use remote? No, although even at the time I thought I should have!

Would that make any difference? (Q for the hdr speialists?)

Sorry as has been said the image looks a little flat for me, not sure if portrait would have worked better here as well. Sorry.

Hey, as long as it's your honest opinion then I'm not offended, I only post on here to learn!

Here's one straight out of camera, no processing at all just converted from raw to jpg and resized to fit forum rules.
BeechesOOC.jpg

You won't get anything but from me :) I think if you can sort out the colours and sharpness it'll look a whole lot better.
Btw do you have a portrait view?
lol! No portrait view on this one.

Back