Burton Agnes Hall & a question

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
A few from the film I shot here over Easter. If someone could answer a question for me I'd appreciate it. The last film I shot was an Ilford XP2 400 (C41 process) film & overall the shots were probably more consistent than the results with this one.
This film was an Ilford HP5 400 and it seems to be a bit more sensitive than the XP2. For example, in the 2nd shot there is a grainy appearance to the sky and the highlights on the statue's flowers on the last one are overexposed. I'm using an old Petri TTL SLR with a 55mm 1.8 lens.

I wonder if I would be better off sticking to the XP2 than the HP5 or whether it's just me not getting the exposure correct. Would I benefit from using any kind of filter in bright sunlight?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks for looking

It is unlikely to be the film at fault, more likely the limitations or accuracy of the metering.
Your shots with the C41 film appear to have been shot on a cloudy day, or at least at a time when there wasn't the direct sunlight there is in these HP5 shots.
Hp5 isn't especially grainy but grain can appear more pronounced for a number of reasons associated with the chemical processing and any digital editing of the scan itself.
You'd have to pick 1 HP5 shot and 1 Kodak CN to compare, then maybe the differences between just those 2 could be explained or suggested in more detail.

Are you developing & scanning the HP5 and is the shop doing the XP2?

Scanners will always show grain loads more then if you do a traditional wet print. It is just the way they work.

I have found in the past that HP5 will appear more grainy than Delta 400 because the grain structure is different, these days I tend to scan B&W at 1500dpi to reduce the more noticeable grain. Works for me.

Filters for a bright day?

ND can work, orange and red will darken a blue sky plus orange will add more contrast to stone work.

Overall I think a good set there Pete.

Are you developing & scanning the HP5 and is the shop doing the XP2?

Scanners will always show grain loads more then if you do a traditional wet print. It is just the way they work.

I have found in the past that HP5 will appear more grainy than Delta 400 because the grain structure is different, these days I tend to scan B&W at 1500dpi to reduce the more noticeable grain. Works for me.

Filters for a bright day?

ND can work, orange and red will darken a blue sky plus orange will add more contrast to stone work.

Overall I think a good set there Pete.

The XP2 was developed at ASDA but this one was developed by this firm as ASDA have decided they can only cope with developing 1 B&W film a month. These were scanned onto a CD as part of the process and the print of #2 also shows a grainy sky.
I'm aware that the camera is 40 years old & was produced at the time as a low to mid range SLR but with this film the results have been a bit more hit and miss than with the XP2. I might invest in an orange filter.

@Joxby, yes, this film was shot on 2 very bright sunny days whereas the XP2 was shot on a pretty gloomy day. I'll have to try an XP2 on a sunny day next time.

Thank you both for your comments, it gives me something to work on. :)

Last edited:
Back