Butterfly id - Original title I know!

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
We had a trip to Longleat a couple of weeks back.
We've been a few times before, but this was my first time with a DSLR and extension tubes, so I was able to get in closer!

I'd love help with their id.
The butterfly room is very hot, so I assume none of these are UK butterflies!

They have an electric hand drier type of machine so you can warm your lens up to stop it misting - excellent thought by the people at Longleat :clap:

Malay Lacewing by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Lime Swallowtail 001 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Lime Swallowtail 002 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Birdwing by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Green-banded Swallowtail by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, and feel free to C&C

Last edited:
Mentalblock said:
Thanks for the comments everyone.

@ Matthew Thanks for the id

No worries I've sent a PM to a member that helped me a lot with butterfly ID's hopefully they will be able to help (y)

Matt

Nice set #3 is a Common Lime also

#1 looks like one of the Heliconius. but not sure yet, will double check and confirm.

#2 and #3, Lime Swallowtail, Papilio demoleus

Off for lunch now, will drop you a line on the next ones later and confirmation of the first one soon I manage to pinpoint it accurately the id

#1 is the Malay Lacewing, Cethosia hypsea

#4 Looks like Birdwing to me but determining which one is getting a bit tricky as I can't see the patterns from above. If I manage to ascertain it will drop you a line.

#5 is the Green-banded Swallowtail, Papilio palinurus

#1 is the Malay Lacewing, Cethosia hypsea

#4 Looks like Birdwing to me but determining which one is getting a bit tricky as I can't see the patterns from above. If I manage to ascertain it will drop you a line.

#5 is the Green-banded Swallowtail, Papilio palinurus

Thanks for the names.
Are you big in to your butterflies, or is there a good web site you can recommend to help id them?

Lovely shots

Thanks, glad you like them.

Thanks for the names.
Are you big in to your butterflies, or is there a good web site you can recommend to help id them?

No problem, happy to help

I work for a Butterfly Centre, catalog and document all their butterflies and insects,

Back