Butterfly

S

Steve

This is one of over a hundred photos I have taken in the last two days of butterflies. The crafty Germans have a live exhibition on from Christmas until March, they import the pupas then wait until they hatch and let the public in for a small charge. Set in a huge greenhouse it makes for an interesting photographic challenge. I made the mistake of going on the weekend first but it was swarming with children determined to maul every single butterfly that settled anywhere for longer than 10 seconds. Today I returned to have a little more space and five hours of solid photography in relative peace and quiet.

IMG_0239_01.jpg

Canon 20D, 70-200L, 23mm extention tube, ISO 800. 1/250 F6.3 Full frame :)

Beautiful picture... and that's coming from someone with a phobia of butterflies :embarasse

I like that :)

There's quite a lot of space on the left which isn't really doing anything though, maybe a crop to portrait would give it more impact?

The only other thought I have is that it's a pity the branch is coming down through the antennae. However, to avoid that would have meant moving left and losing the wing detail so I think you got about the best angle you could, nice one :)

I left the space incase it gets used in a publication of some discription (we all have our dreams ;) ) They usually like having space to add text or a discription etc without it running over the main image. I agree entirely that if it where to be printed then cropping some of the free space would certainly help :)

Cheers for the comments :thumb:

thats a good 'um Steve, what are the other 5 hours worth like???

Cheers Matty, the other 5 hours netted me about 100 keepers. Some will need minor PP work and others major, as usual it all takes time.

I'll throw a few into the photo sharing section :)

im trying to find something to say here that constitutes a critique, the best i can do, and this is being picky, is say the twig is behind the antennie thingies, but its not a biggy, lol

looking forward to seeing more!

hi steve, how can you take a photo that good and put it in Photo Critique section??? whats to critique, haha
ps i live half a mile from a buttefly farm, maybe go there in spring, hmmm

I have just thrown some in the photo sharing section that are not as good, you can sink your teeth into them instead ;)

hmm
i might be going against the grain here, but without the twig giving contrast to the antenie i think they might just fade away,
as it is i think they stand out quite well as the twig almost makes you look at them more ??

or, i might be rubish at this photography thing so please ignore me , lol

MyPix

Steve said:
I left the space incase it gets used in a publication of some discription (we all have our dreams ;) )

As this type of shot I think this works very well, perhaps a little extra space around the butterfly would've been nicer as it seems a touch "tight" with so much room on the left (just my personal preference though)

MyPix said:
hmm
but without the twig giving contrast to the antenie i think they might just fade away,

sorry for butchering your shot Steve but MyPix's comment got me wondering. I've done this very roughly but with a bit of care and attention that twig could be removed and still look natural. The bottom bit could also go. I've got the colour gradation wrong but it was just to see what it would be like.

IMG_0239_01.jpg

hmmm not sure...still really like the original!

Hmmm - dunno ? I think I prefer it with the twig ... it sort of adds something imho ... where the other is just ... a butterfly ?

Interesting dod.:ponders:

I think the twig gives the connection to the leaf maybe and without it subconsciously the leaf begins to look as though that shouldn't be there as well?

I am not saying that I don't like it just that it is different but not necessarily an improvement for me.

Steve said:
I have just thrown some in the photo sharing section that are not as good, you can sink your teeth into them instead ;)

Just listen to him... 'not as good...' pah!

Git...:D

I like it more with the twig in. It's a great shot Steve, I love it.

Great shot either way but the twig TBH makes it look more genuine/real:thumb:

Back