Buttermere, The Lake District

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
A few images from a recent trip to Buttermere for C&C:

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
Very nice set, good composition and tones in all.

I think no 1 would work better if the bottom was cropped more as I find the shingle detracts from that superb reflection and sky.

Tom

Great set with excellent composition. I prefer #2, the fence on the left is great, it just sets the whole picture up. Excellent.

Nice set, makes me want to get my boots on right now. But, a quick glance at the grey sky through the window has changed my mind.

Excellent set, I agree with 2 being the best composition

Very nice indeed I like the reflections in one and the comp of two...

Something about three niggles me and I will let you know when I have put my finger on it..

Shutterman

1 and 2 work for me really well, with the fence in the 2nd making a nice lead and the reflections in the 1st are great.

Buttermere must be my favourite place in the Lakes & you've captured the scenery nicely, to be honest the HDR has left them looking a bit unnatural for my own personal taste but nice series of shots anyway

simon

Thank you!

I agree, they probably are more on the side of unnatural. These were my first ever HDR efforts so I'm still playing around with what's possible and will probably revisit these with the view to making them look more realistic.

That doesn't mean I don't like these shots. It's all good fun. :)

Nice shots, but I find the green is too green, if you know what I mean.........

Why HDR? That's a very good question!

When I took the shots of the scenes, my aim wasn't just to shot for HDR, but bracketing my exposure allowed me to have the option of producing a HDR variation.

Here's what the 'correctly' exposed single exposure version of the scene looked like:

There was a lot of contrast at the time of shooting and I felt that it would be interesting to use HDR to increase the dynamic range of the final images to recover some of the shadow and highlight detail that was otherwise lost.

So, the HDR composites haven't replaced the single exposure versions. I just wanted to have them in addition and also try my hand at HDR for the first time.

I wonder if because HDR is fairly new to the world of popular digital photography (Wikipedia tells me that the theory behind HDR has been around for a long time) people are more likely to question its use as opposed to questioning decisions made about other, more established types of processing?

It would be interesting to see whether or not something similar to the single exposure photo above prompts the question "Why didn't you use HDR?" in the future. Although, by then, our cameras may be able to capture the entire dynamic range of such a contrasty scene.

Back