Buying 2nd hand gear from shops.

Ant

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm hopefully going to place an order with a camera shop that has a 2nd hand department for a Canon lens, and i'm just wondering whether it is generally ok to barter the price down with these shops as it is when the items are new?

Also, what's a sensible price to be paying for a good condition, 2nd hand canon 10-22 lens?

Generally the price 2nd hand from a shop will be higher than the price for a private listing; have a look in the 'for sale' section, see what they have gone for and try to get the shop to give a similar price

shops will have a very high margin on second hand/trade in kit, unless it is fast moving 'wanted' items, so yes, barter, its a buyers market

Yes, barter. The best way to get a fix on the price is to look at places like eBay and the classifieds sections of TP and other forums. But remember that (a) a shop has to make a margin on used gear; and (b) they might have to charge VAT on the margin. So don't expect them to be able to match the lowest prices you see in private sales.

Don't forget that a shop will also give a warranty on the kit and will have overheads (shop rent, council tax, lighting, staff etc) so will always be more expensive than a private sale. Can't hurt to ask what their best price is - the worst they can do is say "No further discount"!

T4 cameras in Swindon. They have a website too. I used to browse until I discovered MPB :D

I got my D90 in there, top place with very knowledgeable staff. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Well, i got an email from the place i was going to get the 10-22 from, and they had sold it to someone else, they were on a waiting list for one.

They then mentioned that they get the lens in quite regularly, and i;m now on the waiting lost for one. (Well, getting contacted once one comes in)

Last edited:
Back