Buying a new camera - faulty?

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

When you a buy a camera, what should you look out for apart from the obvious (missing accessorites etc). Since this is the first SLR camera I bought, I don't know what faulty signals I should look out for. Another member has just said that some of the pictures look very light due to the camera, so he swapped it. Are there any tests?

Thanks!
Wolf

First of all what camera have you purchased? Have you taken any pictures with it so far? Is there something happening or not that makes you think its faulty?

Nikon d40. I was just thinking if there are some parts that are notorious for being faulty or not since it seems quite a delicate equipment! Since Im a newbie into the slr world, i might not know if the pics i take show a good or faulty picture :D

Cant really help with anything nikon specific but try downloading and printing off some focus test sheets and things and see what happens i guess.

don't get paranoid :nono:, just get the camera, read the manual :)rules:), put it together carefully, charge the battery & go shoot

The manual ( :rules: ) lists what should be in the box, and anything problem will become apparent when it dont work.

yes they're complicated expensive bits of kits, but quite rugged too as long as you take reasonable care & dont go out of your way to destroy them. Treat them with respect and they'll withstand a lot of hard use.

just be careful to
- keep body & unattached lenses seperate in a padded bag,
- keep it dry and clean,
- put a protector (or UV) filter on the lens ASAP,
- always have a soft CLEAN lens cleaning cloth,
- be religous about using lens caps both ends on lenses not in use
- be REALLY careful to be as clean as possible when changing lens so you don't get any dirt inside (beware sand, mud, water, dust & fluff, check lens dont have any dirt on the inner end before attaching them to camera), minimise time that the camera body spends without a lens or the protective blanking plate fitted
- never try poking around inside the body with the lens off

when you've seen a few of your results you'll go . . . yeuck :puke:, that's terrible, must be a faulty camera!

so then you post them on here, ask what's going wrong :help: and someone will tell you its not the camera, its you :crying:, and to:
1. hold the camera properly (yep there's a right way and wrong way)
2. use a faster shutter speed (usually)
3. read the manual (there's even a smiley for it: :rules: , hey we've already done that!)
4. stop pointing it at your cat / dog / wellies / feet / sky :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

(its all traditional and part of the learning curve)

its also traditional for you and almost everybody else to say the problem MUST be the cheap nasty kit lens you got with it and you MUST spend £x00 on this that or the other better lens. Ignore them, the problem will be you, wait until you know what YOU are doing right/wrong before selling your soul/grandmother/kids to pay for "better" glass to make more expensive mistakes.

hth

Back