Buying a second hand Nikon lens with no guarantee?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I'm looking for a deal on a Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 lens to pair with my new D3. I'm trying to find one second hand to get a bit of a bargain.

I may have found one, from a UK based shop that you can order online from. Problem is it's listed as "as seen" and comes with no guarantee. All other items/ lenses on the site have the usual 'mint', 'exc' etc ratings. It's described as boxed but missing the rubber zoom ring and having a small mark on the rear element.

It's listed as £500. Brand new this beast still retails for about £1000 in the UK, but can get from Hong Kong for around £750

The fact it's an actual shop means I'd be covered by the distance selling regulations act doesn't it, so if I wasn't happy with it I could return it.

What do people think, too knackered, too much of a risk???

I'm no legal expert, but if the seller has described the lens as having a mark on the rear element, you couldn't return it for that reason. Certainly, you could try, but the seller would not have to accept the reason for return as the lens fits the description they have give under the Sale of Goods Act ie goods must fit the description.

Sound too much of a risk to me for the sake of £250 imho.

As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong, or you've had bad experiences) - the distance selling regulations act involves a 7 day 'cooling off period'. ie you can return something, for no reason whatsoever, if you want to.

Official info here

Kind of agree though. For the sake of £250 I'd want something shiny and new with no marks I think. But I'm tight, and now poor after the D3 :), so am looking for bargains.

Dont do it

I haven't, not with this one anyway. But, I have found a much better deal and am well happy. Is from the nice guys in Brighton (not sure if you can mention specific shops on here, probably can though as they have an advert running on the site :) Is the same lens in "Exc+" condition, comes with a 6 month warranty, and is only £50 more. Bought it. Should be here Friday!

Spoke to the guys on the phone and they operate a 7 day return policy also.

Glad I didn't go for the other one. Condition "as seen" does not sound good really does it.

might seem a bit blunt but - you have got a d3 get good glass to go with it - if you need to spend - spend

Glad you found a good one Dangleman, that first one sounds like a dog. The rubber grip being missing would indicate serious abuse.

Enjoy the D3 with "The Beast" on it :D

Pete

I wouldn't have gone for it either. Should we take it you've been in contact with MPB? Great company, only problem is, you'll get your lens, you'll be really excited and want to rip it straight open, then, you'll realise it's been packaged like a nuclear warhead :LOL:

I think I made the right choice. It was from MPB yes. Does seem like a good company, and their prices seem pretty good too.

BAz - how do you mean it'll be packaged like a nuclear warhead. Do they go overboard on the 'padding' you mean? At least it will be well protected though.

The thing I'm not keen on is that they use parcelforce for their couriers. Not had great experience with them in the past.

Yes MPB really package things up well. I bought a camera body from them and it took me 10 minutes to get to it through the packaging. There was no chance it would have gotten damaged.

You may have seen I'm also looking to flog my D70 now, and possibly the Nikon 18-70 3.5-4.5 DX lens to go with it. MPB have offered me £200 for both. A lot less than I was hoping for tbh. Are they normally good to sell stuff to do you know?

Which is only slightly better optically, and not quite as good handling wise IMO ;)

That's good to hear. You've got both haven't you icecavern?

I think the 24-70 is way too overpriced for a mid range zoom to be honest, which is why I've gone for a second hand 28-70. Of course if a used 24-70 came along at the same price that'd be a no brainer I guess. Not likely to happen though.

I must say, aesthetically (not that it matters really) I prefer the look of the 28-70 too. It just looks more rugged.

I did have both. I sold the 28-70 I had in the end as I liked the extra 4mm at the wide end. I dont thnk the 24-70 is overpriced personally, as it's the same price as the 28-70 was new. And theres no point comparing it to a 'similar' lens from the other side as Nikon make superior glass :nikon:

Pete

I think I made the right choice. It was from MPB yes. Does seem like a good company, and their prices seem pretty good too.

BAz - how do you mean it'll be packaged like a nuclear warhead. Do they go overboard on the 'padding' you mean? At least it will be well protected though.

The thing I'm not keen on is that they use parcelforce for their couriers. Not had great experience with them in the past.

Yes, overboard but thats a good thing, right? Unless your like me and want to rip it open like a child with a present :(

Back